New Brewer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Powers

The Notorious Table Flipper
Reaction score
I am looking to brew my second beer and I am looking to create a fairly cheap, simple, strong, light beer/braggot. The recipe I have come up with so far is below. I will probably add some steeping grains as well. If this list is missing something or way off please let me know. Thanks for all the help!

(6LBS) Pilsner LME
(5LBS) Cane Sugar
2 oz Saaz Hops
15 Grams Red Star Premier Blanc Champagne Yeast
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient

I'm assuming the 5ib sugar is honey? I'd use a beer yeast or if your going with a good mead yeast I'd go with pack in 71b. I've never liked champagne yeast, leaves it very dry and flavorless.

I was originally going to use honey but too expensive. Just straight cane sugar. I am just using it to boost abv. I'm not opposed to switching yeast just want something that can handle the abv.

I was originally going to use honey but too expensive. Just straight cane sugar. I am just using it to boost abv. I'm not opposed to switching yeast just want something that can handle the abv.

I wouldn't do that. With nearly 50% sugar, it will be boozy but thin and dry and not very "beer like" since beer is usually all malt or nearly all malt. Braggots have honey for flavor and body, and have a more wine-like finish but definitely not just sucrose.

If you want something more like a lighter beer, you'd do ok with the basic recipe, but change out the yeast to ale yeast and cut the sugar to 1 pound. That would get you about 5.7% of a nice flavored beer. If you want more alcohol, you'll need more hops (to balance the sweet malt) and a bit more LME.

I wouldn't use yeast nutrient with these ingredients. It's not needed, and likely will impact the flavor negatively.

If your just wanting to do a light beer do a SMASH or "brewing on the ones". Learn your base malts or something. This will go a long way in learning how to put a recipie together. I typically never use sugar unless it's a belgian style and usually never more than 10% of the grain bill.

I agree with the others, that'll be very thin and flavorless. Are you trying to make a beer you can enjoy or something cheap you can easily get drunk on?

Adam, a quick question that might help us understand what you want to do. When you say 'light', are you referring to color, body, mouth feel, or some combination?

I've found Costco stock and prices vary by region and by store.
While visiting family in Indiana I found not only different bulk items, but different prices for the same items I get on the East Coast. Conversely, I've gone to the Costco in Edison, NJ, and found ethnic food like Chinese sausages and whole, frozen butchered lamb that isn't available elsewhere. Loads of alcoholic products from cheap to expensive, whereas the outlets in Ocean County where I live have ZERO wine, beer, or liquor products for sale.

I am looking to brew my second beer and I am looking to create a fairly cheap, simple, strong, light beer/braggot. The recipe I have come up with so far is below. I will probably add some steeping grains as well. If this list is missing something or way off please let me know. Thanks for all the help!

(6LBS) Pilsner LME
(5LBS) Cane Sugar
2 oz Saaz Hops
15 Grams Red Star Premier Blanc Champagne Yeast
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient

I just posted on the YOUTUBES about a great recipe. click here

Back