New Brewer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stealyourface

Reaction score
I have so many but I will start with my basics. I have been reading the site for awhile and really appreciate everyone's input.

Now to my questions...

I bought an extract sweet stout kit from my local store. My local shop insisted that I transfer to a secondary which I did on Day 6 even though I read many times on here not to. I now see no movement in my airlock. This would not normally concern me after reading that it is not a sign of fermentation, yet my curiosity has gotten the better of me. My reading was 1.02. After I transferred it, I had what appeared to be a very good yeast cake and I had a lot of bubbles coming out of the primary fermenter for the first 4 days. I forgot to take my inital reading on Day 1, but i did it on Day 2. Everything else went by the book as far as what to expect. From what I understand, I should let it sit for a few weeks, then transfer it to my other bucket for bottling and mix in the sugar packet. I want to verify that in fact I will still have yeast sitting alive and well in the secondary and I don't have to do anything else but be patient. The carboy is currently sitting in a dark closet at 70 degrees. I am figuring I will let it sit another 2 weeks unless anyone here tells me to do something different.

Thanks for your help in advance!

You are doing O.K. let it sit.
You are off the yeast cake but there is still suspended yeast in your beer, it will finish the job.

Back