New brewer needs a little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nottsbrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies for the newbie questions but I have had a quick search and couldn't find the anwsers :)

I have just started my first brew kit (cider) using a dried cider yeast and nuitrient.

The kit instructions went as follows:

Mix 1.25kg sugar with apple concentrate and 2.3 ltrs boling water. Once the sugar has been disovled add 20 ltrs cold water. When temp is lower than 30 deg C add yeast and nuitrient and mix well.

I have followed the instructions to the letter (even missing checking the original gravity!!)

There is a definate crud forming on top of the brew but no bubbling (after 24 hours)

My main question really is should I have just stirred in the yeast? From what I know understand dried yeast should be primmed first in warm water?? Is this right?

Thanks in advance

Russ
Nottingham
UK

Yeast goes through a growth stage, then fermentation starts. Sounds like it's working just fine.

Dried yeast works better it it is re-hydrated in warm water, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

I'd suggest with your next batch, get some liquid yeast, and make a starter. This will give you the best results overall.

Good luck

I mixed up 2 gallons of EdWort's apfelwein by mixing 2 gallons of apple juice with .75 lb brown sugar and pitching 1/2 packet of champagne yeast directly on the juice then swirling the fermenter to mix. I'm using a 3 piece air lock. 24 hours later, the little riser in the airlock had popped up, but I didn't get bubbling until the following day (day before yesterday). It's been bubbling at a pretty steady rate of a bubble every 2 seconds since then.

If I use dried yeast I put it in warm water with a tablespoon of corn sugar to make sure it's alive. I tend to like liquid yeast though and I proof it with a bit of the cooled wort.

Dan

found the problem, the bung on the fermentation barrel is leaking :)

i twisted the airlock a little and its now bubbling like mad!!

many thanks folks!!

Latest posts

Back