New brewer in Alaska...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13ALPHA

Reaction score
Hey,

Great forum, I've been trying to read up as much as I can. I just got started and have my first batch fermenting right now, it's an amber ale.

I live in North Pole, AK and the weather is actually really nice this month.

I hope to brew a Scottish Ale next, not sure what's invovled though, but that's down the road a little.

Thanks, Scott

welcome!
Im from Soldotna AK, but have lived here in Phx for a few years now...good to see more people from AK on here...careful...Brewing is addicting!!!! hah
Ive got a good 80 shilling Scotish ale recipe Its just about ready to drink (been in the bottles for about a month now)...so far its great. PM me if your interested.

welcome!
Im from Soldotna AK, but have lived here in Phx for a few years now...good to see more people from AK on here...careful...Brewing is addicting!!!! hah
Ive got a good 80 shilling Scotish ale recipe Its just about ready to drink (been in the bottles for about a month now)...so far its great. PM me if your interested.

Thanks, I certainly would be interested! Pm'd. does the schilling prefix mean anything?

Welcome, Lived in North Pole for a few months in '93 then on base at Eielson til '96.

Welcome to the site from another FNG (2nd batch fermenting right now). I live in North Pole too. Actually there are at least two others on here that do as well. I am sure they will be along shortly to say hi.

Wow, didn't realize there were so many people from North Pole, small world!

Where do you guys buy ingredients? Online? Need to go look more closely at Govoras, and see what they have.

I thought I heard of another LHBS but couldn't find one.

Scott

Gold Hill Liquor in Ester used to be my go-to, but lately Gavora's on 3rd street has been stepping up their selection, their prices are the same, and you don't have to drive to Ester. I don't think Gavora's stocks hops now that I think about it.

Welcome to HBT from Seward, AK. Arctic brew in Anchorage will ship to you, but i am not sure what they would charge. Great guys that are always very helpful.

Gold Hill Liquor in Ester used to be my go-to, but lately Gavora's on 3rd street has been stepping up their selection, their prices are the same, and you don't have to drive to Ester. I don't think Gavora's stocks hops now that I think about it.

Thanks, I have a reason to go in now. :)

Gavora's has hops but not a very good selection. They are hidden in the beer cooler. I went about 2 weeks ago and they had only a few packs and they were 2007 mostly. Also, they don't have any of the "good" yeasts, if that matters to you. I went to Gold Hill yesterday and they were overflowing with stuff. They were stocking the hops while I was there. Except for the drive, Gold Hill gets my vote. Then again, I like the wacky beer selection they have a lot too.

Gavora's has hops but not a very good selection. They are hidden in the beer cooler. I went about 2 weeks ago and they had only a few packs and they were 2007 mostly. Also, they don't have any of the "good" yeasts, if that matters to you. I went to Gold Hill yesterday and they were overflowing with stuff. They were stocking the hops while I was there. Except for the drive, Gold Hill gets my vote. Then again, I like the wacky beer selection they have a lot too.

I just went today to check it out, saw all they had and the lady did show me where the hops were. I will try to get out to Ester, do they stock as many ingredients?

I just went today to check it out, saw all they had and the lady did show me where the hops were. I will try to get out to Ester, do they stock as many ingredients?

Yeah, they have pretty much everything Gavora's does, but it's hard to find.

Back