New Brewer, I Might Have Gone Overboard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kad2371

Reaction score
So here's the story. I have from time to time thought about home brewing but always assumed it was too much work. About a week and a half ago, a guy I work with ran across Mr Beer kits (don't groan yet, read on) on sale in a local store. After reading the directions and looking at what was in the box, I thought "Hey, that's easy enough" and bought one myself on the way home.

That night I jumped online and started researching (guess I should have done that first) and had my first encounter with HBT. The more I read the more certain I was that I really wanted to do more than the Mr Beer kit.

So last Saturday, I went to my LHBS. I told myself I was just checking out the store, but I walked out with a 5 gallon starter kit, you know, with the 6.5 gal fermentation bucket, bottling bucket, hydrometer, auto siphon, Better Bottle etc, etc. I could have saved a few bucks online but I like buying local, especially to support specialty businesses like this. (NOTE: It might be a good idea to tell SWMBO BEFORE doing something like this next time around):D

Anyway, last Sunday I started both the Mr Beer kit (American Light), and a 5 gallon Porter from a kit they put together for me. So what did I do this weekend? Decided that that wasn't enough, so I got a kit for an Irish Red. I transferred the Porter to the Better Bottle (yes, I know, no lectures about not needing to secondary, or when to do it if you are going to) and started the Irish Red.

1 Week into brewing and I have 12.5 gallons in three different styles fermenting. Guess you could say I jumped in with both feet (not literally, that would probably make the beer taste weird)

So, am I crazy? Do I need professional help? Is SWMBO going to kill me if I keep this up? (I did have a boilover today, so divorce isn't out of the question if I don't pay more attention when brewing :eek:)

Anyway, time to clean up my mess in the kitchen, happy brewing! :mug:

"So, am I crazy? Do I need professional help? Is SWMBO going to kill me if I keep this up? (I did have a boilover today, so divorce isn't out of the question if I don't pay more attention when brewing)"

No. Not crazy. Don't need professional help. Join a brew club, hang out here, visit tap rooms and local craft/micro brewers.

Take the "hobby" seriously and responsibly and your better half will see how much it means to you. Mine dies and supports my efforts even though she can't stand beer.

For me, it's all about brewing something that would never have seen the light of day if it weren't for me. I love klugging the equipment, fiddling with recipes, sharing brewing knowledge, and brewing. As silly as it may sound, the beer is secondary.

Welcome to the "obsession".

You sound like wet have the Dame personality. I thought about starting for a while. I did a bunch of research and began creating a list if equipment I needed. I though Scott extract but it took me a while to have the time but I kept researching. I realized it want hard so I thought about partial grain. Long story short I saved up enough bought bought and built my equipment for all grain and to make matters worse I decided to design my own recipe for my first batch. Well I opened the first bottle today. It tastes good but My recipe design skills need work but it turned out fine. I really jumped in head first off the high dive and luckily the pool wasn't empty haha. Good luck!

Welcome to our obsession! I LOVE brewing, and love talking about it. I probably drive other people nuts with the constant brew talk, so I found this forum.

It's a slippery slope! Wait until you get to try the beer you made. Then you'll really be obsessed!

I'm already thinking about trying all grain next, though in my 2.5 gallon fermenter. I don't have a big enough pot to do a 5 gallon all grain brew. Thinking BIAB, not sure what type of brew. I'm thinking of trying a Wheat, or maybe a Blond? Haven't decided yet. And I'm already thinking of how to justify the equipment for moving up to a 5 gallon all grain setup.

My first beer was a Mr Beer too. Since then I've brewed nearly 1000 gallons of very high quality beer. Like Yooper and most of us others here, I love it! I'll bet you will too if you continue with the obsession, er, hobby. Good luck and good drinking.

I started about the same way you did, although I have done cider for years! Once the brew bug bites you, there's no cure for the fever except to brew, brew, and brew again.

I would seriously suggest stepping back to smaller batches. Pick yourself up a 3 gallon carboy and cut 5 gallon recipes in half. That way you get to brew more often and can experiment with some of the crazy things that will be crossing your mind.

I made the jump to AG about 8 months ago and have only done 1 extract brew since. I love it. Doing 2.5 gallon batches, you can still brew on the stove top pretty easily, and don't have to drop a but load of cash on a huge brew pot and burner. I brew the smaller batches indoors on thee nastiest days, and always have fresh beer.

Welcome.....:D....... to the madness! :rockin:

Not at all. I built a 4 keg keezer and entire AG system (even bought a grain mill) before I even brewed my first beer.

The best invention ever for getting the SWMBO onside with a brewing addiction is the Wine Kit!

In fact that was how I got started! the SWMBO wanted to make wine, and I figured I'd dive into beer at the same time!

Now I have 4 Wines, a Port, and Belgian Golden Fermenting and 2 other Brews Sitting on the shelf waiting for a free bucket!

OP- I got my all-grain start using a Mr. Beer LBK as the fermenter and a hybrid of the stove-top all-grain method from this site. Great way to learn the process on a smaller scale. Although, once I saw how long it took to make 2.5 gallons of all-grain beer, and how fast I drank said beer, I moved to 5 (and then 10) gallon batches quickly.

Definitely find a local home brew club and you'll find others who share your obsession.

Wine, not a bad idea. Although my beer will be drinkable faster than her wine...good excuse to buy a few more Better Bottles, so I can fill the pipeline for her.:D

Definitely thinking of relegating the Mr Beer LBK to doing all-grain, and for smaller batches of brews that I'm not sure are my cup of tea (or should that say stein of beer:mug:) while keeping the pipeline filled with 5 gallon batches of something I know I will enjoy.

Now to just convince her I need an entire room to use as a brew room. After all, she has her sewing room. (Hey honey, we don't really need a spare bedroom do we?;))

So here's the story. I have from time to time thought about home brewing but always assumed it was too much work. About a week and a half ago, a guy I work with ran across Mr Beer kits (don't groan yet, read on) on sale in a local store. After reading the directions and looking at what was in the box, I thought "Hey, that's easy enough" and bought one myself on the way home.

That night I jumped online and started researching (guess I should have done that first) and had my first encounter with HBT. The more I read the more certain I was that I really wanted to do more than the Mr Beer kit.

So last Saturday, I went to my LHBS. I told myself I was just checking out the store, but I walked out with a 5 gallon starter kit, you know, with the 6.5 gal fermentation bucket, bottling bucket, hydrometer, auto siphon, Better Bottle etc, etc. I could have saved a few bucks online but I like buying local, especially to support specialty businesses like this. (NOTE: It might be a good idea to tell SWMBO BEFORE doing something like this next time around):D

Anyway, last Sunday I started both the Mr Beer kit (American Light), and a 5 gallon Porter from a kit they put together for me. So what did I do this weekend? Decided that that wasn't enough, so I got a kit for an Irish Red. I transferred the Porter to the Better Bottle (yes, I know, no lectures about not needing to secondary, or when to do it if you are going to) and started the Irish Red.

1 Week into brewing and I have 12.5 gallons in three different styles fermenting. Guess you could say I jumped in with both feet (not literally, that would probably make the beer taste weird)

So, am I crazy? Do I need professional help? Is SWMBO going to kill me if I keep this up? (I did have a boilover today, so divorce isn't out of the question if I don't pay more attention when brewing :eek:)

Anyway, time to clean up my mess in the kitchen, happy brewing! :mug:

stick with it, bro! I dont think you went overboard. You need all that stuff and you'd a'bought it all anyway.. I'd say make sure you have a lot of friends who like different stuff. Not all mine do and I'm brewing for myself a lot of times and that is a lot of beer to drink alone.. If you said you bought conical fermenters and blichtman gear, then I'd say you went over...

Happy brewing! it's a slippery slope!

Just last night I got finished with my inventory of what I've bought over the past 2 years to get brewing. I have just about $1,520.09 into the hobby. I did this to know when I hit the break even point. With the 4 5 gallon batches I've brewed so far...minus the cost of ingredients...not including time (it's a hobby)...figuring 40 pints per batch @ a cheap $3.00 ($5.00 at local bars) for each pint I have already made/saved $344. You can't go wrong with a hobby like that. Brew an AB (Arrogant Bastard) clone for just under 50 bucks. A 22oz bottle is at least 5.50 retail way more in a bar. Buying 5 gallons worth would be about $165 without taxes and all. So you've saved over 100 bucks. Your wife can't argue with the savings! But she can tell you that if you didn't drink beer you'd save even more!!! YIKES!

Just wait, in a few months/years, you'll look back and say to yourself "remember when I thought that was a lot?" And the same thing will happen over and over and over. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the build threads on here, you'll start to get too many ideas lol.

My mind can't handle the concepts "brewing" and "overboard" simultaneously, so I'm unable to answer your initial questions. I will say, get some Fermcap if you haven't already. Love that stuff.

No man that's what happened to me. The first weekend I did a Honey Cream Ale, and Double Choc Stout. But I used a 5gal water jug for primary on the stout and it foamed out for 4 days. I had stout fountains out of the air lock 2ft high.

Now 5 years later. Me and 4 friends have 160 gal of primary fermentation space 80gal of secondary and three full size whiskey barrels. And 230gal of keg space.

Welcome to the most fun you have ever had staying home in Saturday!
Greatest Hobby in the world

It is really helpful for me to focus on what I need to make good beer and not on acquiring more gear. I'm a recording engineer and formerly worked in outdoor retail. If you consider peeps who hunt, fish and/or like cars, boats, bikes....there are so many who just amass a bunch of gear. Its nice to be obsessed with learning a craft. Its not so nice to be addicted to buying stuff.

WoW Darkness that's a lot of capacity! As a solo so far I only have 13 in primary 10 in secondary and 25 gallons of keg space. I'm sure it will grow a bit. I should have just gone with primaries as I now go direct into kegs and dry hop in them. I would like 2 more primaries and a few more kegs. Soon...

And kad2371 use the saving money angle! Also it is cheaper when you go all grain... once you get the equipment. And it goes on! But you can do it on the cheap by making a lot of things yourself and using items you may already have. It's ingenuity at its best. And secondaries are good to have around to clear your primary for another batch as you did.

Back