New brewer from Delaware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juslod

Reaction score
Hello everyone from Home Brew Talk!

I've been browsing the forums, reading posts and trying to learn everything I can as a new brewer. I decided it was about time to register and start posting for my self. I am from Milton, Delaware which some of you may know is where the Dogfish head brewery is located.

I started brewing from a Mr. Beer kit that my sister bought me as a present. My beer generally turned out ok, but not great so I decided to expand my production and quality a slight bit. Feeling like the "Mr. Beer" kit is the easy-bake oven of brewing I bought some equipment and am not set up for 5 gallon batches!

I recently completed my first extract kit (from Brewers Best, a Weizenbier) and it is currently conditioning in the bottles. I cracked one open at 6 days and wow what a difference! This encouraged me to brew my second kit, the Red Ale.

Since my current set up is "meh" at best, my next step is I'm looking to buy a propane burner and purchase a used keg that I can convert into a keggle. Where I work is able to do stainless steel welding so I can get a free welding job!

A lot of you guys are very knowledgeable and I hope to learn tons from your experiences!

-Juslod

Juslod,
Welcome to the forum. I'm originally from Delaware and there's a couple-a more First State folks around here as well.

If you're looking for some good "hands on, watching someone else" brew a batch, go to howdoyoubrew.com and look up some of the classes that Joe and Marlena sponsor. They are a lot of fun and you'll get to meet other brewers and you'll learn a lot.

Also check out http://www.delmarvabrewers.blogspot.com/
and
http://firststatebrewers.com/

both have good info (but you have to register at FSB).

So, welcome! Glad you could make it!

Cheers,
Michael

If you're in the northern part and willing to do a short drive, we typically meet in Joppa, MD (about 45 mins from the DE/MD border) fairly regularly for group brews. Keep an eye out in the gatherings area for details about the MD/DC/DE brewdays. In fact, we're brewing this weekend! :)

Thanks for the info michael88n, I'll have to check them out :cross:.

Joppa, MD is about 2 1/2 hours from me since I'm in the lower part of Delaware. Either way it sounds like it could be something fun and maybe something I'd be interested in doing anyway since it could just be a day trip!

Where I work is able to do stainless steel welding so I can get a free welding job!

Where do you work... Iron Works? :D

Welcome to the forum! I also live in the Milton area, so you can't get any closer than that if you want to see first-hand some all-grain brewing.;)

Where do you work... Iron Works? :D

Welcome to the forum! I also live in the Milton area, so you can't get any closer than that if you want to see first-hand some all-grain brewing.;)

I actually work in Georgetown at the county airport, the company manufactures auxiliary fuel tanks and installs them on jets so they do work with different metals.

And that's awesome, I would have to take you up on that offer one time because all-grain seems interesting to me but I am not sure I'll be ready for the advancement yet! :drunk:

And that's awesome, I would have to take you up on that offer one time because all-grain seems interesting to me but I am not sure I'll be ready for the advancement yet! :drunk:

Good, because my brewing is more or less on hold until late summer/early fall due to numerous projects around the house.:) Shoot me a PM when you're ready... with the way this hobby goes, it might be sooner than you think!

By the way, I heard Delmarva Brewing Craft opened a 2nd location in that antique shop off Rt. 9 between the dairy farm and the Good For You market. I haven't been in there yet, but they're open during the week unlike the Millsboro location and it's nice to have something closer.

Good, because my brewing is more or less on hold until late summer/early fall due to numerous projects around the house.:) Shoot me a PM when you're ready... with the way this hobby goes, it might be sooner than you think!

By the way, I heard Delmarva Brewing Craft opened a 2nd location in that antique shop off Rt. 9 between the dairy farm and the Good For You market. I haven't been in there yet, but they're open during the week unlike the Millsboro location and it's nice to have something closer.

Awesome that sounds good.

I did see that, I live right down Rt. 9 so it isn't a far drive. In fact, that is how I moved on from those goofy Mr. Beer kits to 5 gallon batches! They seem to have a decent assortment but it is not very big... Then again I haven't seen any other brew store to compare.

Nice to see the first state well represented. Welcome Juslod.

Hey thanks Mike. Where are you from generally in Delaware?

Since I have attracted a few other Delaware brewers I should ask if anyone knows where I could get a beer keg in the mid-southern area. I'm looking for one to convert into a brew pot, but I'm having a problem locating one!

Hey thanks Mike. Where are you from generally in Delaware?

Since I have attracted a few other Delaware brewers I should ask if anyone knows where I could get a beer keg in the mid-southern area. I'm looking for one to convert into a brew pot, but I'm having a problem locating one!

I had one hell of a time finding them around here. Called Dogfish to see if they would sell damaged ones... no go, but you could try again. Fitzgerald's said they see them once in a while, but didn't have any when I called. There's a salvage yard on Donovan's Road (Donovan's Salvage Works). I called them and they said they had a ton of them. I stopped in to find dozens of them all piled up against a wall. It looked like keg heaven... except every single one (I sifted through ALL of them) had a giant hole in the bottom. According to the junk yard guy, whoever collects them takes a pick-axe to the bottom of them to depressurize them. That was frustrating. If they only put the holes in the top, I could have used them! Anyway, you could try them again... maybe you'll get lucky.

If you do find any, get as many as you can... at least 2, preferably 3. You won't regret it later when you go all grain.

Yeah I tried Dogfish head too with no luck. But that sounds good I'll have to give Fitzgeralds and Donovans a call. And wow that is frustrating! Couldn't they find a better way to depressurize them haha..

I just found out that one of my old managers works at a beer distributer in the area, I haven't talked to him in years but I am going to try giving him a call too.

The guy who runs the antique store on Rt. 9 said he has one he'd sell me for $35 but it is a curved keg instead of a straight one. I don't know if that would be a big deal, so if I can't find a straight walled keg it is an option at least.

Latest posts

Back