new(brew)bie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffraun

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new (10min) to the forum. I've just started brewing after a 10+ year hiatus. Hoping to open my first bottles in a week! IPA

We've just moved from Austin, TX to St Charles, IL.

Jeff

Sounds like there's a lot of us coming back from ~10 year hiatuses (hiatii?).

What's up with that? If the homebrewing industry were big enough they'd probably have some market research done on why exactly and try to advertise to people like us.

Anyway, good on you for getting back to it.

I didn't realize how much I missed it. And it was driven home just tonight as I sampled our first completed brew, a hefewiezen, while sitting in my front yard playing with my daughter in the beautiful weather we're having. I felt at peace with the world!

Cheers!

Moon

I think I allowed my work schedule to interfere with my brewing schedule. I have yet to really taste my new batch; it's only been in the bottle for two weeks. I'll try one tomorrow.

The hefe we did was perfect for impatiently starting. We all like IPAs and we started with one, then we were thinking "That's going to take 6 to 8 weeks! What can we do that's quicker?" That's where the Mild and Hefe came in. The Mild is still too green, but the hefe is perfect after only 9 days (7 in fermenter and 2 in bottle.)

Thanks!

I'm just kinda figuring out where things are and they're changing them already...

Ed's great! Nice shop. I go in there with a deer-in-the-headlights look and he gets me straightened out. So far I've just brewed up one of the kit beers he has, an IPA. I hope to start a Pilsner (I'm going to try it in warm weather - no fridge) and then stoip with the kits and move into mash-extract. Maybe a Porter or a Stout.

I've found Savway for the ready-made stuff. Any other places I should check?

Wow! Just looking at the website makes me thirsty...
I could ride a bike over there it so close.

Thanks for the tip.

jeffraun said:
Hi,

I'm new (10min) to the forum. I've just started brewing after a 10+ year hiatus. Hoping to open my first bottles in a week! IPA

We've just moved from Austin, TX to St Charles, IL.

Jeff

Welcome Jeff.....was it too hot in Texas to Brew?

For me it was, but lots of others seem to have no problem. I didn't have a fridge I could use so the beer fermented a bit hot. I'm sure there are other ways of keeping cool (wet towels, etc) but it was a pain in the summer.

Back