New boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a decent price for the volume, but I don't see any mention of it having a tri-clad bottom so it's probably along the lines of an economy kettle. My understanding is a tri-clad bottom helps distribute heat more evenly for less chance of scorching, but there are tons of people that brew in keggles and they don't seem to have any scorching issues. There was a recent post about someone having problems drilling their pot for weldless fittings. That might be your biggest challenge if the sidewalls are really thin as they may have a tendency to crack.

I didn't think about that. I hope It works out... I have been searching for a bigger kettle for a while now.

unless you are brewing with LME and are letting it pool on the bottom triclad does not matter. in fact, i'm not sure how could help since too hot is too hot no matter how evenly distributed it is.

Man I got my kettle in the mail the other day and it's quite impressive. Thick enough to add a ball valve however, I have an auto siphon so I won't be drilling holes in it. Very happy with the purchase.

Just out of curiousity, the thickness and weight seem satisfactory? As in you don't feel as if it will dent easily. I had emailed the seller and he indicated the thickness as 1.0mm. I contemplated picking one of these up awhile back but wasn't sure. Starting to reconsider, any additional information would be appreciated.

Don't sweat not having a tri-clad bottom. This is more for cooking heavy sauces that could burn and need an even heat. Blichmann kettles are not tri-clad, just expensive and desired by some. That pot looks like a great deal IMO.

Just out of curiousity, the thickness and weight seem satisfactory? As in you don't feel as if it will dent easily. I had emailed the seller and he indicated the thickness as 1.0mm. I contemplated picking one of these up awhile back but wasn't sure. Starting to reconsider, any additional information would be appreciated.

I just re-read this post and have a question: Did he really say 1.0 mm? That is pretty thin. I grabbed my calipers this morning and measured one of my kettles and it is 5.0mm.

I just reviewed the email response, and it does state 1.0mm. "Its 1.0mm all around." - stereo345

As for 5.0mm, that is rather thick. This certainly does not appear any thicker or bulkier than a blichmann kettle and those are only 18g (approx 1.27mm). I believe a sanke keg is 5.0mm, and this does not look that thick. I will check a sanke keg when I get home.

I just reviewed the email response, and it does state 1.0mm. "Its 1.0mm all around." - stereo345

As for 5.0mm, that is rather thick. This certainly does not appear any thicker or bulkier than a blichmann kettle and those are only 18g (approx 1.27mm). I believe a sanke keg is 5.0mm, and this does not look that thick. I will check a sanke keg when I get home.

My apologies, I did not measure a stainless kettle this morning, it was aluminum. The stainless one is thinner.

Back