New Bike....Husband of the Year Award...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays bikes are better than ever. Go into a bike shop, tell them you want to spend less than 'x' amount. You should be able to get a pretty nice road bike* for under $800.00 maybe even less. Test ride some bikes. ask questions, etc.

If the bike you shop you go to has employees that suck, find another one....

*I suggest you buy something you can take off road. The woods are fun....

Nice, my buddy has had 2 Yetis, love those bikes! This is one I miss (Azonic DS-1)... Right now I'm down to a Devinci roadie and an Access (no name brand, but nice solid frame) I built up myself. Working on another play bike, hehe.

XWe0j.jpg

Is that the indoor bike park in the 'Cuse? I've heard about that place. I think I need to go check it out!

Bikes and beer. Cant get any better! Here are some of my bikes:

Specialized Epic 29er
x2nvi1.jpg

Specialized Enduro Comp 26:
27yg6c.jpg

Cyclocross! Redline Conquest Team:
so5lip.jpg

Time Trial QR Lucero:
2rz81du.jpg

Is that the indoor bike park in the 'Cuse? I've heard about that place. I think I need to go check it out!

Nope, Ray's in Ohio. First went there like a week after it opened. Love going there, but so stoked that they have a place here in the 'Cuse now. Haven't been yet, but heard it's amazing, even better than Ray's.

To the guy looking, You can get something decent for $500 or less. Go for brands like Specialized and Trek. I'd suggest a hybrid, upright sitting position, better for roads than a full on mtn. bike, but can still handle light, smooth dirt trails. Great for just cruising around with the family on bike paths and such, if that's what you're looking to do. Ask if you have any more questions! (source: been building my own bikes for 15 years, and was a tech at a bike shop a few years ago)

Geez... You guys make my bike look like junk. Mine is a Diamondback Response. Fit good and the price was right. I'm just getting back into it after a decade or so off the trails, and I couldn't justify a high end until I knew I would stick with it.

image-3776390027.jpg

image-2094855884.jpg

My bike sucks,i need a new one.Comfort schwinn crap that cant hold up to hills or any thing other than a joyride once a year.:eek:. I bike country hills 2x a week 12+ miles.Its a pita.pieca shate! Thanks Target.

IMG_0442.jpg

My two babies. Wife's two in the garage (Surly 1x1 and Kona Cinder Cone).

Adding a Salsa Spearfish 2 to the stable in the next week or two...

Sweet gift btw. Nice to see other folks in the sport. I am assuming I have spoken to some of you on the Beer part of MTBR?

Geez... You guys make my bike look like junk. Mine is a Diamondback Response. Fit good and the price was right. I'm just getting back into it after a decade or so off the trails, and I couldn't justify a high end until I knew I would stick with it.

Definitely not junk! There's an old saying in mountain biking..."run what you brung". In otherwords, all that matters that you're out there, riding your bike having fun!

I agree the cost of your bike and the fun you have are not proportional. I have just as much fun on my 100 hard tail as I do on my 2500 dual suspension it just depends on the mood I am in.

yup. My funnest bike I ever had was also one of my least expensive ones, and sadly it is no longer with me. It cost less than half what either bike in my photo costs and my smile stretched from ear to ear whenever I rode that thing.

Was a Surly Karate Monkey single speed rigid. Blast to ride, but my knees couldn't handle the ss here in the mountains where we moved. :/

And for the record... there ain't nothing wrong with a Diamondback. They've been building mountain bikes for decades and turn out real nice frames.

All of you guys are awesome! It doesn't matter what your riding as long as you are out there! Kids have me super busy with Little League right now, but we hope to really start getting after it now! Our biking crew is rolling now and the stoke factor is there!

How do you guys feel about micargi? I just ordered one,my comfort schwinn just didnt hold up to my abuse of consistently riding country hills.After i ordered wooops, i seen a few reveiws(micargi) that its ultra low quality and made in China.I happen to notice that Schwinn stuff is made in China?Not shure if that matters.
I do know i will not get a car starter made in mexico though after dealing with replacing a lifetime starter every few years with this crap.Kinda off topic but just sayin.What a ripoff-got a good quality on from napa,so hopefully i dont have to deal with replacing starters every few years.

I could be wrong. Schwinn is Made in Wisconsin though.?:confused: Ive also seen some contraditory comments that its well made.I almost bought a trek fx series i think it is but was crying about spending over 400 so i chanced iton this micargi i guess? Im kinda just the weekend warrior type i guess so it seems fitting.Really i ride during the week consistantly also. Ive had bad luck buying expensive bikes also or anything expensive which always something seems to happen wrong with.Im talking more "bad luck" with expensive things- so i tend to shy away from that.

Schwinn is no longer an American brand. Was sold to Pacifico years ago. To my knowledge, they only do low end bikes now.

Being made in China vs. USA doesn't matter. it's the QC on the parts/frames that matters.

As for the brand you are asking about, I have no idea. Most important is that YOU like it and ride it. If you like it, you'll ride it more. If it breaks, replace it with something higher quality....

I could be wrong. Schwinn is Made in Wisconsin though.?:confused:

Schwinn had a racing division called Paramount. The Paramount name was sold but the factory remains in the Schwinn family, Richard Schwinn. The shop was renamed to Waterford Bikes and is located in Waterford Wisconsin.

Waterford is the finest riding steel frame bike on the planet. Period.

They also mass produce, Waterford is a custom made, a line of bikes under the Gunnar name.

They have several summer rides along with shop tours that are worth looking into if you are in the area. Cool place, Cool people and a wealth of knowledge on frames, fit and history...

Back