New BIAB Brewing YouTube Channel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have only watched this one so far: Brew Day Part 1 - 2.5 Gallon BIAB - HBW - Homebrew Wednesday

I'm just throwing out some observations/questions while I'm watching:

You mention you don't use a strike temp above your desired mash temp. Instead you adjust the mash's temp after dough in to account for temp loss during dough in. The reason was you didn't want to denature enzymes due to having too high a strike temp, correct? In the small amount of time before the strike temp water drops to mash temp during dough in, do the enzymes have time to activate and then denature?

You dough in at 151F, stir and let it sit - 5 mins.
You note that mash temp is ~145F.
Turn on TOP and pump, let it come back up to mash temp - 15 mins (stated in video that 15 mins had passed, but didn't say if mash temp had just arrived back at 151F at the 15 min mark, so could be < 15 mins).

So ~15-20 mins of mashing at less than 151F (desired mash temp). Then mash at 151F for 60 mins (guessing, you didn't say in video).
Quite a bit of conversion can happen in the first 15-20 mins (what %, I don't know).

How big an effect does denaturing enzymes (for the brief dough in period) have? Would having a strike temp halfway between desired mash temp and "normal" strike temp denature fewer enzymes (than at "normal" strike temp)? That would put you that much closer to desired mash temp after dough in and you wouldn't have to mash for as long a time at a lower mash temp (until it comes back up to desired temp). Also, what effect does mashing at the lower temp have in comparison to having some enzymes denatured?

As I said, just throwing out some observations and questions. :)

Thanks for the videos. Off to watch some more.

First off, thanks for taking the time to watch my video(s) and also give feedback and ask questions. It's helpful.

You mention you don't use a strike temp above your desired mash temp. Instead you adjust the mash's temp after dough in to account for temp loss during dough in.

The video you watched was the second brew day that I did on the new system. I'm still definitely learning and also changing things up too.

So to your observation, you are correct. BUT...that was kind of a "hold over" from my 3 vessel brewing system. That's what I did with that system because it took me quite a while to get all the strike water into the vessel, mixed around, and then settled for the recirculation.

If you watch the latest video where I brew the Hefeweizens back-to-back, I actually changed my process. I increased the temperature of my strike water 3 degrees over mash temps on the first batch and then 4 degrees over mash temps on the second batch in an effort to reduce the amount of time I'm mashing and frankly because I realized the system is different and doing that is pointless.

It takes literally 5 seconds to lower my BIAB basket in and start stirring. So in that case, there is not enough contact time (and the water isn't hot enough any way) to denature any significant amount of enzymes. I think it's a non-issue at this point for my system.

Also, I didn't let the mash sit in the latest video either because it is like the strike water thing, it's unnecessary. Even with 50% wheat, I lowered the basket with the grain in it, stirred and then immediately turned on the recirculation pump. No issues with suction, stuck mash, cavitation, etc.

This is whole venture is definitely a learning process. I am not only converting my system from "3 vessel 10 gallon" to "single vessel 2.5 gallon," I'm also converting some of my mental processes that go on during brew day. Five years of brewing the same way and then a sudden shift...I'm letting go of somethings and while grabbing hold of new things.

Cheers! If you have more questions/observations/etc. definitely let me know. Happy to respond.

Oops, sorry. I knew I should have watched them all before commenting, LOL.

No worries. Hope I didn't come across like I was saying, "Watch the next video you freaking idiot." Not intending it that way at all. Just a "head's up" kind of thing. Hopefully you'll check out the next video. :)

Thank you for mounting your camera.

You are welcome. Can't say it always will be, but at least for know that's the way I've found works best for me. :)

What is the 'beep'? Does that come from the PID?

That's the alarm on the Tower of Power. It's an alert that it's about to fire the spark module and open the solenoid valve for gas flow. Some people find it annoying, but it's a lovely noise in my ears. It tells me things are as they should be. :)

Back