New Belgian Citradelic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AkTom

Reaction score
My son down in KC says it's the best IPA he's had. Anyone had it? I'm going to see if I can find some tomorrow.

I was excited to try it and underwhelmed at the flavor.
but the last two in the sixer seemed to have a much more pronounced flavor. I purchased it as soon as it hit the shelves(by chance)
perhaps it needed a couple of weeks to mesh.

Its not bad, not overwhelmingly good. With a name like CITRAdelic I kinda wonder the reason for including nine other hops in the mix. (Nugget, Crystal, Centennial, Azzaca, Cascade, Citra, Chinook, Galaxy, Mandarina Bavaria, Simcoe).

I had it. Good but disappointed they used fruit in it. I'll save my money next time.

I had it on tap recently. With a name like CITRADELIC I had high hopes.....they were not met. It's not a bad beer but it's not going to become the newest 'gotta have' beer.

So I guess the general consensus is don't hook up your dog sled team and trek 100miles into the ol general store just to find this beer. *Naive joking obviously :mug:*

The fruit overpowers everything imo. It tasted one dimensional and watery. The flavor that was there though was real juicy.

It was a fine beer, just not as awesome as I had hoped. I bought 3 bottles, drank them happily, but don't have any desire to buy more.

Definitely one of the thinner flavored NB brews. Won't be chasing any more here either.

I bought a sixer but could only choke down one. Too much fruit. Fruit should not be allowed in beer! Horrible stuff in my opinion.

I did pick up a 6 pack. I too was a. I too was a bit disappointed. Nice beer, but nothing special. Silly me. I can brew beer as good or better. I am just a little on the cheap side and buy much beer. I'll continue the fine tradition of home brewing and make my own excellent beer.
Cheers

In a world full of 'meh' beers, this one doesn't stand out any more than the others.

I'd drink it if it were handed to me, but I ain't buyin' it...

NB just started distribution in Hawaii, so finally got to try a couple of the beers besides fat tire. this citradelic was just ok, but I loved the ranger ipa.

NB just started distribution in Hawaii, so finally got to try a couple of the beers besides fat tire. this citradelic was just ok, but I loved the ranger ipa.

Rampant is good for the price as well.

I find the under-appreciated Ranger to be a lot better, but I think it's pretty good. Citradelic is a misleading name, and a more strict Tangerine Peel and Citra mixture would be best. It's far from my favorite, but I am actually quite excited to take it camping this summer. It's the perfect easy drinking, summery IPA to have straight out of the can after a bike ride or hike, but it's not extraordinary.

for those that say it doesnt have good flavor, what are the BB dates? All the stuff around here says May 15, but we got it in early January. I think its the best beer Ive had from new belgium. And its only $8/pack here

for those that say it doesnt have good flavor, what are the BB dates? All the stuff around here says May 15, but we got it in early January. I think its the best beer Ive had from new belgium. And its only $8/pack here

Don't remember the specifics, but I remember checking the date because I really didn't like it and it was still a few months from BB date. I felt it was really bland and muddled. Nothing made sense, it was barely bitter at all (not that I am a hop bitterness maniac, I normally drink sours and malty beers). The fruit flavor seems to just mix everything into a bland orange juice like flavor. I only gave it 1.75 stars on Untappd, really disappointed in it.

I find the under-appreciated Ranger to be a lot better, but I think it's pretty good. Citradelic is a misleading name, and a more strict Tangerine Peel and Citra mixture would be best. It's far from my favorite, but I am actually quite excited to take it camping this summer. It's the perfect easy drinking, summery IPA to have straight out of the can after a bike ride or hike, but it's not extraordinary.

Have you had Terrapin's Hi-5? It's really good, and fits your description above, IMHO.

Have you had Terrapin's Hi-5? It's really good, and fits your description above, IMHO.

I haven't, but I looked it up and it sounds good. I'll see if I can find it here in Fort Collins.

The thing about Citradelic is that as soon as I tried it, it ignited my yearning for the summer. It just tasted like watching the sunset in the wilderness.

Betting it's seasonal
The Belgian ipa before it wasn't bad. Sure what ever they have on deck will step it up. I always pick up one or two of their new brews, as they rarely disappoint.

It's far from my favorite, but I am actually quite excited to take it camping this summer. It's the perfect easy drinking, summery IPA to have straight out of the can after a bike ride or hike, but it's not extraordinary.

I liked it for this reason too. I find most session IPAs too watery, but I could substitute something like Citradelic in its place. I could definitely see myself buying some more come summertime for grilling out or heading out boating on the river. Tasty without blowing out your palate with bitterness, not over the top on ABV, and affordable.

(But really, 10 hop varieties?)

Betting it's seasonal
The Belgian ipa before it wasn't bad. Sure what ever they have on deck will step it up. I always pick up one or two of their new brews, as they rarely disappoint.

Actually, they seem quite confident with it and added it to their year-round lineup.

It is worth noting that the Rye IPA they put in their folly pack is a LOT better. I wish it was getting the year round treatment instead.

Apparently I liked it more than most on here. I bought one as a single and then the most recent Folly Pack. I don't know if I'll ever buy a sixer of just Citradelic, but I'll gladly drink what I have in the fridge now. I agree that the RyePA in the Folly Pack is a better beer overall. Seemed kind of odd that they brought a 2014 beer back as a "revival" beer already. Maybe had some demand for it?

Really, my favorite beer that New Belgium has produced lately was the Long Table saison they released as a seasonal this past fall. Should've stocked up on more of that before it was gone.

Surprised by all the bad reviews, I thought this was a pretty good beer. I will absolutely be buying more.

It was alright but my hopes were left hanging high and dry. So I had to make an IPA with 9oz of Citra, 3 of which were in my hop rocket before cooling. Must say, mine turned out way better.

Well I figured out what all the bad reviews were all about. I bought another 6 pack of this beer tonight and its a completely different flavor. This one is a little older and the hops are dulled and the flavor seems off. Must not age well at all because the first 6 pack was great.

It was alright but my hopes were left hanging high and dry. So I had to make an IPA with 9oz of Citra, 3 of which were in my hop rocket before cooling. Must say, mine turned out way better.

Throw yours in a bottle, toss it in your car and drive around for 4 weeks and then compare.

I very much enjoy this stuff. I didn't associate it with the "citra" name but as a tangerine ipa. I like the grassy notes along with the citrus notes and the light yeast touch. Where zombie is available but hard to get to when it's in town before everyone else, and I don't feel like driving 45 minutes for a 4 can pack of daisy cutter this will easily suffice for me

I'm drinking one right now bottled 2 mo ago (best by July 17) and I agree with Sepanik - if I think of it as an easy drinking tangerine pale ale /IPA it's pleasant. It's not in the league of the citra hop bombs that are popular among the nano and microbreweries around my area, or that I can brew myself, but I can see buying it again for deck drinking on a hot summer day.

I'm in a different camp than most and actually loved the citradelic beer. I only had on tap though, so maybe the bottled ones are different?

I do agree that there seems to be a lot of hops and wonder if they're all really contributing enough to the taste.

But it's a keeper in my book. I look forward to having it again, and will actually be brewing it next as well. It's a great Summer drinker.

Back