New Beer Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STStunner

Reaction score
I got a new beer kit for Christmas: Summer Cream Ale. It's a 6-gallon kit that produces an estimated ABV of 4.4%. I would like to increase it to somewhere between 5 and 6%, I don't have any added malt available, but I do have some table sugar. How much can I safely add without drastically altering the taste of the beer? Are 3 cups too much or would I be better off sticking with only 1 or 2? I thought about decreasing the volume of the kit down to 5-gallons, which would likely bring the ABV to around where I would prefer it, but I would like to keep the kit at the recommended 6-gallons if at all possible.

10% - ish. would be safe. Like a third to a half lb off the top of my head. Really theres nothing wrong with a 4.4% beer, just drink it quicker out of a bigger glass.

3 cups would be WAAAAAAY too much....3/4 a cup for 5g..When do you plan on adding the sugar? At fermentation or bottling?

Might want to get a yeast booster so the yeast can convert more of the grain sugar to alcohol...But then it would tend to alter the taste some..

Your idea of reducing the volume would be the easiest. It's also the best way to keep the ingredients the same. If you put extra sugar or malt extract in then it'll be a different beer anyway.

A half a pound of table sugar should increase the abv by ~0.6% in 5 gallons. If you don't have scales, that is 1 cup of sugar.

I'd recommend limiting it to that amount for this brew. Not only does the added sugar raise the alcohol, but it lowers the FG making the beer drier and 'thinner'. A half lb of sugar may not have too much effect on the taste/flavor, but 1.5 lbs certainly would.

Just to be on the other side of the coin....

There's nothing wrong with brewing a low ABV beer that tastes fantastic.

Latest posts

Back