New at this - cider with cherries - did I screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joebroggio

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A little over a week ago, I started my second batch of cider. I got my cider, my D47, sanitized tools etc and it fermented away happily. About a week in, when fermentation stopped - I defrosted some frozen cherries. When they were defrosted, I ran them through a ninja master until it was a paste, and then filtered the paste through a sanitized wire sieve until I had cherry juice generally free of pulp. I dumped that into my secondary, and then siphoned my primary into my secondary, omitting the bottom inch of lees.

Or so I thought.

The next day all this... precipitate showed up. I do not know what this is. There is some weak bubbling, so I assume a little bit of secondary fermentation happened, but I have no idea what all this precipitate is - about half has settled to the bottom.

It smells OK (it smells like beer, really). I had planned to let it sit in the secondary for 3 weeks before bottling it, but with the current situation I am not sure if I should do something different now or not.

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• cider_B-issues.jpg
    cider_B-issues.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Back