New Albion Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a six gallon batch following the BYO recipe. I split it 2 1/2 using WLP013, 2 1/2 with Safle US05, and 1 gallon with WLP002. I'm interested in the differences the yeasts bring.

The WLP013 was by far my favorite and closest to the commercial bottles I had. The WLP002 was sweeter and a little fruity. The US05 was nice, but there is something about the WLP013 that really work. I am sorry my palate is not better. My description sucks. It does make me want to try the WLP013 in more beer. I wish I rinsed and harvested the yeast.

I have all the ingredients except for the Windsor yeast. LHBS doesn't carry it so I am going to have to order online. :-(

I wonder if the yeast they used to use has any similarity to the old balentine strain. I might try this recipe with some of the old Newark yeast from ecy.

Here is my New Albion inspired beer. It's not a clone, but close to it. I wanted something similar but not identical. Side by side, I would say it's identical in color. Mine pours a little clearer when they are both chilled to the same temperature. Head retention and lacing are about equal, mine having a little more lacing, if that even matters. Now on to what really matters. I used the following recipe:

I call it New Albion Steam
5.5 Gallon Batch
OG 1.058
FG 1.010
ABV 6.3%

11.5 Lbs Pale Ale Malt
.5 Lbs CaraPils/Dextrine Malt (I want a better head than what poured from the bottle)
.7 oz Cascade 60
.7 oz Cascade 30
.7 oz Cascade 15
(Estimated IBU=32.2)
Fermented with 4L of WLP810 San Francisco Lager at 52-54F, raised to 65F when gravity reached around 1.018 and held there for 2 days. Cooled to 52F for a few then cold crashed or semi-lagered for 2 weeks at 32-34F. Added gelatin and let rest for 3-4 days then bottled with 4.7 oz of priming sugar.

I can taste the difference in yeast. Mine has a "cleaner" flavor with more of the malt showing through. I would say the malt to hop flavor is well balanced and similar to New Albion Ale, but mine lacks that yeast character of theirs, so the malt really shines over the yeast flavor. Honestly, lagers are not my favorite, but this hybrid is among the best I've made and I prefer mine to New Albion Ale. It has more maltiness or breadiness to it, which I really enjoy.

Making this beer got me excited about doing more simple brews. I have a single malt lager and a single malt saison finishing up fermentation now with different amounts of cascade added at 60, 30, and 15 minutes. Both were suppose to be smaller beers, but they're just bit over 5%ABV. Either way, they will be good summer thirst quenchers.

DSC_6886sm.jpg

Here is my New Albion inspired beer. It's not a clone, but close to it. I wanted something similar but not identical. Side by side, I would say it's identical in color. Mine pours a little clearer when they are both chilled to the same temperature. Head retention and lacing are about equal, mine having a little more lacing, if that even matters. Now on to what really matters. I used the following recipe:

I call it New Albion Steam
5.5 Gallon Batch
OG 1.058
FG 1.010
ABV 6.3%

11.5 Lbs Pale Ale Malt
.5 Lbs CaraPils/Dextrine Malt (I want a better head than what poured from the bottle)
.7 oz Cascade 60
.7 oz Cascade 30
.7 oz Cascade 15
(Estimated IBU=32.2)
Fermented with 4L of WLP810 San Francisco Lager at 52-54F, raised to 65F when gravity reached around 1.018 and held there for 2 days. Cooled to 52F for a few then cold crashed or semi-lagered for 2 weeks at 32-34F. Added gelatin and let rest for 3-4 days then bottled with 4.7 oz of priming sugar.

I can taste the difference in yeast. Mine has a "cleaner" flavor with more of the malt showing through. I would say the malt to hop flavor is well balanced and similar to New Albion Ale, but mine lacks that yeast character of theirs, so the malt really shines over the yeast flavor. Honestly, lagers are not my favorite, but this hybrid is among the best I've made and I prefer mine to New Albion Ale. It has more maltiness or breadiness to it, which I really enjoy.

Making this beer got me excited about doing more simple brews. I have a single malt lager and a single malt saison finishing up fermentation now with different amounts of cascade added at 60, 30, and 15 minutes. Both were suppose to be smaller beers, but they're just bit over 5%ABV. Either way, they will be good summer thirst quenchers.

DSC_6886sm.jpg

That looks mighty good.. I might have to try that too. Damn, So many beers to brew so little time.

I brewed this up yesterday. LBS didn't have 013, so I went with Notty. I considered using 02 that I had in the fridge.

I'll have to order the Albion strain, this is a fantastic Summer beer. Hopefully, the clone recipe turns out close to the real thing.

I'm looking to throw a "Learn to Brew" Party, where I show my friends all stages from brewing to racking to bottling, and of course tasting. I'm looking to make New Albion for the "Racking to Secondary" As I've got an Oatmeal Stout for tasting and Caribou slobber for bottling. I'm fermenting around 68F (Hopefully not too high). How long is the Primary fermentation lasting for everyone?

I got a call from my LHBS. They got some WLP076 Old Sonoma Ale Yeast this week (formerly New Albion). They believe it is the same strain (I had asked them last year if they had the New Albion - amazed they remembered me). So, I'm going to brew it again and use the Old Sonoma.

Back