New Albion Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchidbeer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried or is going to try the New Albion Ale clone recipe in BYO magazine? Boston Beer Company is going to re-release a one time offering of this recreation sometime this month. I plan on brewing this recipe next. Seems pretty simple so a new brewer like me should be successful.

Joe

I have been trying to find if any of my local stores will carry it. If not I was gonna try making it too.

I brewed a batch Monday using the extract/with grain option. The only extra step I did was to add the remaining hops (.2oz) at the end of the boil. I had 2-1oz packets of hops. Also I used the Wyeast 1028. This is my second brew, the first, Caribou Slobber is nearing 3 weeks in the fermenter and was anxious to start another and this was it. I have not yet found the New Albion Ale in the stores in the Milwaukee, WI area.

Joe

Extract with grains option:
*Reduce the amount of 2-row malt to 2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg)
*Add 5. 0 lbs. (2.3 kg) of light dried malt extract.

The grain I used was Rahr 2-Row Malt from Northern Brewer. Being new to brewing I showed the recipe to the people at NB and that's what they told me to use. For the DME I used Briess DME Golden Light. Hope that helps.

Joe

The current Basic Brewing Video show was interesting. The New Albion brewer, Jack McAuliffe, lives just a couples miles from James Spencer. He came over to brew their clone. They are calling out for their listeners to brew it this month using the BYO recipe (they brew a 1 gallon version on the episode), and have a virtual group tasting next month. I suppose you'd email comments about how your beer came out and how it compares to the commercial clone that is currently available.

What yeast does the BYO recipe recommend? White labs is releasing a platinum strain called Albion Ale Yeast which I would assume to be the same yeast the brewery used to use. Not coming til may/june though. I think the commercial one used the original yeast as well.

What yeast does the BYO recipe recommend? White labs is releasing a platinum strain called Albion Ale Yeast which I would assume to be the same yeast the brewery used to use. Not coming til may/june though. I think the commercial one used the original yeast as well.

BYO recommends:
Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) or White Labs WLP013 (London Ale) yeast (1.4 qt./1.3 L yeast starter)

The article appears on the BYO website: http://***********/stories/issue/article/issues/299-janfeb-2013/2651-new-albion

What is a good dry yeast for this clone??

I can't see any of them approaching the complexity of the beer. That's the thing about New Albion, the simplicity of the grain and hopbill is NOT where the unique flavor of the beer is coming from. I've made a ton of beer with 2-row and cascade and have NEVER had a beer with that distinctive flavor profile. I was shocked when someone posted above that it was just a 2-row/cascade smash...I looked at the link and sure enough.

The flavors HAVE to be derived from the yeast being used.

FYI based on this discussion I picked up another sixer of this last night. :mug:

Just kegged up a batch last week and am enjoying now. Thought it would be a rather beer-beer, but was pleasently suprised when it was ready. Good flavor and aroma. Definately worth brewing. A great go-to beer. I did the recipe from BYO. Great Beer..... Simie

I brew a six gallon batch following the BYO recipe. I split it 2 1/2 using WLP013, 2 1/2 with Safle US05, and 1 gallon with WLP002. I'm interested in the differences the yeasts bring.

Orchidbeer, I found it at Woodman's here in Madison; I think there's one over there, isn't there?

I brew a six gallon batch following the BYO recipe. I split it 2 1/2 using WLP013, 2 1/2 with Safle US05, and 1 gallon with WLP002. I'm interested in the differences the yeasts bring.
I saw this video when it came out and had the same thought as you LabRatBrewer, I used up what I had kicking about since I had no time to get to the LHB store so ... Pale lme with cascade whole leaf hops from our garden last year, split into three one gallon jugs with coopers gold, windsor and nottingham yeasts! Interested to smell and taste the differences. 20130204_230344.jpg

Has anyone tried to bottle harvest to see if there's any viable yeast in there?

My bottles of the commercial version had no visible dregs on the bottom. My thought was that the yeast have been filtered out. Am I wrong on this? Can you harvest from bottles without the ring of yeast on the bottom? Thanks.

I must have gotten a bad 6 pack of the commercial beer because my wide and I tried it and both thought the same thing, a flat version of Budweiser. I was highly disappointed at paying $9/six pack and getting that type of beer. I do know that that will be the last beer that I purchase from Sam Adams, as they all have been highly disappointing to be. I like to drink all different types of beer as well brew different types, so I'm not the typical BMC guy.

You won't really know unless you try....

I'll get another six pack and see if I can harvest anything.

I see that White Labs has WLP076 Albion Ale Yeast. I wonder if it is the same strain.

Edit: Yep its the same:
* WLP076 Albion Ale Yeast
Yeast from the historical brewery that led the way for the
craft beer movement. Opened in 1976 in Sonoma, CA, the
New Albion Brewery changed the face of beer for a new
generation of beer lovers. This strain is a traditional British style yeast, in honor of Sir Francis Drake, who claimed the
area that is now believed to be Northern California. A neutral and versatile strain, it is a great choice for pale ales, porters, and stouts.
Optimal Temperature: 66-70°F (19-21°C)
Flocculation: Medium-High
Attenuation: 70-74%
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

I thought I read that that strain wouldn't be released til the summer....I also thought I read in the same dicussion that folks were harvesting the yeast form the bottles while waiting...but could be mistaken.

Let us know.

I thought I read that that strain wouldn't be released til the summer....I also thought I read in the same dicussion that folks were harvesting the yeast form the bottles while waiting...but could be mistaken.

Let us know.

I called White Labs, you are correct, it is set to be released May/June.

Based on what I've read, heard on Basic Brewing, and tasted in the six pack I purchased of New Albion Ale, I'm going to make this New Albion inspired beer. Not a true clone because I'm chaning things a bit for my preferences.

5.5 Gallon Batch
1.055 Estimated OG

11.5 Lbs Pale Ale Malt
.5 Lbs CaraPils/Dextrine Malt (I want a better head than what poured from the bottle)
.7 oz Cascade 60
.7 oz Cascade 30
.7 oz Cascade 15
(Estimated IBU=30)
Ferment with WLP810 San Francisco Lager at maybe 60-62F
Possibly dry hop with an ounce or two of Cascade, depending on taste and aroma after fermentation.

I have a lot of beer conditioning right now, so it may be a few weeks before I brew again, but this will likely be my next beer.

Thanks for confirming my hunch on the Windsor yeast. From the description of the yeast in the video I thought that may be the closest readily available strain to use. Can't wait to bottle these up!:mug:

I watched the Basic Brew podcast and decide to try an extract version. I brewed it yesterday.
Calc O.G. 1.055
Calc F.G. 1.015
ABV 5.17%
IBU (rager) 25.53
SRM (daniels) 11.53
Actual OG 1.044
Fermentables
8.6 lb Briess LME - Amber
Hops
Amount Variety Time AA IBU Type Use
0.8 oz Cascade 60 min 4.7 14.01Leaf/Whole Boil
0.8 oz Cascade 30 min 4.7 7.78 Leaf/Whole Boil
0.8 oz Cascade 15 min 4.7 3.74 Leaf/Whole Boil
Yeast: Fermentis / Safale - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

I re-pitched into a fermentor that previously had the west coast blaster in it.

I'll let you know how it is.

I had a change of plans for the weekend and decided to start brewing my version of this. I'm mashing now and boiling in the morning. I also got a pretty hefty starter of WLP810 going. I tried New Albion Ale for the first time when I had a cold or allergies. I was pretty congested and couldn't smell or taste much, but from what I could taste, I got a lager-ish character from it. I'm not a fan of lagers and I usually pick up on sulpher and other flavors I don't care for. I really prefer ales, but even after picking up on those lager tones in New Albion, I really liked it. Again, my sense of smell and taste were completely out of whack, but this gave me the idea to make a New Albion Steam/California Common beer, so that's what I'm doing with this recipe.

Latest posts

Back