New AG brewer 101: how to ruin 4 batchs lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khasta

Reaction score
Hey all new brewer here and big fan of HBT, i red and learned a lot on here thanks to you all, just not quite enough in time i guess lol...

I've been jumping into brewing a bit too fast being so hyped about it all, and had quite a blast doing it too! But been acting like captain goofball tho, my lastest mystake is kind of all over my 4 batches and i was wondering if there was maybe a way to save the latest one thats still in the fermenter since 4 days.

Im a canadian frenchy in Mtl, and so sometimes i mis-understand a thing or two lol... Every recipe i brew i though that "boil water" was my total water including what i mash with, like in my latest i tryed the centennial blond, the recipe i found here, which calls for 6.57g boil water and 5.5g batch, so i though... By using 6.57g throughout my whole process i'd end up with a 5.5g batch... Duh lol

Then i learned that you needed to add water to get to the target OG and to fit your recipe boil water... So my 4 batches are like malty as hell [emoji21] cause my centennial blond, which was supposes to be 5.5g i barely have like 5/8 of my carboy filled, maybe a bit more, is there anything i can do to save that last batch? Can i still just add water in there before i bottle or something? Its already done fermenting almost completly... Brewed that 4 days ago

And i was wondering when and how do you add that said water to match your boil size in your recipe? You just make a whole lot of sparge water and over sparge or just pour it in the boil kettle until you reach your target?

Thanks in advance!

Most use a calculator of some sort that you can taper to your system. Tun loss. Boil off. How much you are willing to leave in the kettle with debris in it and mash efficiencies. I use brewtoad because its free. Many use beersmith because along with the stuff on the free sites you can catalogue inventory and calculate ibu loss in older hops. I make beer, not perfection so free is good enough for me now. And you can top up your beer with water that is purified but beeter to use boiled so it has had all th O2 driven off. I make some beers in 10 gallons i dilute to fill 15 in kegs with good results.

Okay thanks i'll get on that, about that batch in the carboy tho, if i just dilute my priming sugar in like 1g of water prior to bottling is it even worth a shot or is it already good for the sink? Lol

Back