Never smoke hot dogs or seafood on beef/pork/poultry smoker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On amazingribs.com when I was doing my research before my initial run of my WSM I found the below quote on this page on the right hand orangey area.
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/weber_smokey_mountain_setup.html
Also, I never cook seafood and hotdog on WSMs that will cook pork, beef, or poultry. Nothing destroys the aroma faster. That's why you should buy a pair if you plan to cook seafood or hotdogs.
Do hotdogs and other sausages/seafood really mess up your season that badly or is this just paranoia?

I have no problems with it. Do it quite often at tailgates. Also have done some smoked shrimp that were pretty damn good. All in the same cooker.

Only problem I ever had was simultaneously cold smoking cheese and salmon. My FIL picked up on the subtle salmon taste on the cheese. :p

Otherwise, just run the smoker at a high temp for 20 min. to cook/burn out fish flavors and aromas. Never a problem for me, and I do a LOT of smoking/BBQ.

Never did fish in it, but have done hotdogs, burgers and chicken in the same one as I do shoulders and butts... zero issues

Well thank you for setting my mind at ease. I saw that amazingribs was so highly touted that I did a lot of reading up there. And since my sister works at a restaurant and is able to get meats for me through their order (I pay what the restaurant pays) I was interested in cold or hot smoking some salmon sometime and really do not want to have to buy a second smoker (though I did get my new 18.5 for $250) just for fish (though I wasnt terribly worried about it as I am not afraid to re-cure the smoker).

Back