Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in March, I brewed an amber ale...third batch...didn't really know what I was doing. I ended up making my grain bill about 25% amber malt. After 2 weeks in the bottle, this stuff tasted so pungently strong that I posted a thread here on it. It turns out that the "amber malt" in my recipe was supposed to be pale malt that was toasted in the oven, not the out of the bin "amber malt". Anyways, people told me to just let it sit and see what happens. I tasted one the other night and and the strong roasted flavor had mellowed out substantially and the beer looks beautiful. I think I'm going to let it sit for another month or two before I start drinking more of it. When I found out that I had hosed up the recipe, I had a strong compulsion to dump the batch...glad I didn't. :)

i brewed a dortmunder back in june. tried my best to ensure a good brew day, cooled down to proper temp, pitched a ton of yeast (WY 2206), had a nice, controlled fermentation, lagered for 3 weeks (probably not enough) and tapped it. i just wasn't happy with the flavor from fermentation and yeast. i could have sworn it had a detectable amount diacetyl in it somehow, despite my attention to detail. i was unhappy with it, my wife thought it was OK and drank a few pints over a month or so to humor me and i avoided it as i had other good beers on tap.

fast forward a few weeks... i brewed a cream ale that turned out great and didn't have an open tap for it, so i pulled the keg of dortmunder and replaced it with the cream ale. i decided to put the keg of dortmunder down in my basement to chill for a while and i kinda forgot about it.

fast forward to about a week ago, almost 4 months after i brewed the dortmunder and the cream ale and another that took it's place kicked. i decide, what the hell, and put the dortmunder back in the keezer. holy **** is this a nice lager now... i was ready to forget about brewing lagers, but this one really has me excited again. honestly one of the best beers i've ever brewed and all it took was 4 months...

ive read this thread several times as well as your other "dont toss" threads, but i think 2 of my 3 batches are serioulsly messed up. one is probably 5 months old and the other is 6 weeks and they are both terrible. i poured the 6 week into a glass, hated it, poured it out and rinsed the glass several times before adding delerium nocterium to it and that made my commercial beer taste horrible!
i hate to think that sanitation is a problem because im very thorough. it could be my fermentation techniques with a swamp cooler but not sure. its gettin pretty frustrating at this point. any ideas? should i change something? both the "mess ups" were a stout and a porter if that helps.
thanks

This is my second post I believe? Anywhoo, I really like the story, and just today had a similar experiance with an old porter i brewed back in march with a friend. Three weeks into the bottle age we tried one, tasted like bitter rank old coffee. Being a new brewer, I deemed it a failure, and put it away in the closet never to be seen again. Probably the smartest (unbeknown to me at the time) thing I could have done. Tried it again out of curiosity back in september, same result with no change. Then today, 3 december... I happend to be short for bottles on a new nut brown I had brewed about two weeks ago. (has a spider web white in color on top i might add, prior to racking to my bottling bucket.) Anywhoo guess where I went for a few more bottles?

I went and got a few of the left for dead porter I had all but forgotten about. I cracked one, and was about to pour to the sink and thought awwww what the hell... Poured a bit in a cup, and took a mouthfull swig, swished it around a bit and was stunned at how mild it was. Though there was little carbination it was suprisingly mild, with a strong hint of the dark malts which I was hoping for with that brew. All and all, not perfect... But by far a drinkable, enjoyable brew.

Great read. I brewed a Blue Paw clone in August. Used a yeast starter like normal. Hit the right OG, but the joker never took off with fermentation. So a week into it a sprinkled dry yeast on top. Five days later, still nothing. I am a big Middle Tennessee fan and big tailgater. I just left the beer in the primary in the fermenation fridge and forgot about it.

We played our last home game last week, so I was bored and wanted to brew a Holiday brew this week. I grabed the Blue Paw clone to dump it, but it looked great four months later. I measured the gravity and it was spot on. I tasted it and it was good. So, I went ahead and kegged it and it is in the kegerator as we speak.

Glad I waited.

Thanks Revvy,
I always keg but now you've got me wanting to bottle a certain percentage of everything and age it to see how it transforms over time. I've become a more patient brewer but having a quick turnaround recipe on tap helps that. I'm lagering 2 batches right now. I'll probably bottle some liters of it. If I do I'll report back with my results. I'm guessing it will be supreme.
Thanks,
Virginia Wolf

thanks for this post i had tried a beer( which i think i may have botteled to soon and was worried about bombs but given the recipe on a brew calculator my finish gravity was pretty close to what it was) i tried one after 2 weeks and it open poured and looked as good as a micro brew from the store but it had a fruity appely taste that made it not taste like a beer. even the buket smells like fruit.is this normal. ? i decided to wait a third week refrigerate one then test it again hopefully it will become a beer and not a wine.

thanks for this post i had tried a beer( which i think i may have botteled to soon and was worried about bombs but given the recipe on a brew calculator my finish gravity was pretty close to what it was) i tried one after 2 weeks and it open poured and looked as good as a micro brew from the store but it had a fruity appely taste that made it not taste like a beer. even the buket smells like fruit.is this normal. ? i decided to wait a third week refrigerate one then test it again hopefully it will become a beer and not a wine.

This is pretty normal, depending on the yeast and recipe. Mostly, if the beer ferments on the warm side, more fruity "esters" will be produced. Also, if the beer is too young (which yours is) it will have a young "green" taste, sometimes descried as tasting like green apples. It's very possible you have a combo of both!

The good news is both of these off-flavors can mellow out or disappear in time. Let it age another 6 weeks from now, then refrigerate one, then try it. :) I bet you'll be suprised!

Never really had esters "mellow" out. They tend to stick around.

That's what I've heard as well, but it has happened to me. A RIS fermented too warm, and tasted more like a bannana stout when I first bottled it. The bannana is almost gone now, having aged several months!

It is possible that the other flavors just melded together though, offsetting the esters rather than than the esters actually "going away." It was still a noticable effect though!

yeah thanks . this is what i have learned since searching and i know its mellowing out because i just tried one and it is going away and starting to taste awesome.that is if i dindt have my tastebud goggles on after drinking 4-5 beers.6 weeks? boo-hoo.ha.gonna refrigerate one this weekend it will be three weeks then test that one.

so maybe keeping my primary vessel by the heater at 70 in the winter is not a good thing since it can be 10 degrees higher inside?.maybe this is my problem with the fruity tastes.maybe ill stick it in my closet? where its 5 +degrees cooler?

I botched my second extract brew up pretty badly. Fermenting temps were high, I added too many fermentables, scorched the wort in the partial boil. When I finally conditioned it for 3 weeks, it was awful!

Well guess what, it's over a year later and now it's pretty damn good! You never know.

I made a cider like three years ago. I don't remember the exact recipe. I think I just rescued a half gallon of local cider from the drain and added some US-05 to it. I left it for a while, and it never cleared up in the gallon jug fermenter. I bottled it up and got three half-liter bottles. Tried a bottle and it was insanely tart, sour. I figured it was infected or something and would always be intolerably sour. I kept the other two bottles around for emergency purposes, just in case I ran out of everything else.

I tried the second one maybe a year and a half ago while reducing bottle inventory. It was still super tart. No change really.

Well last night I tried the third one. I'm trying to be patient and let my three carbonating kegs get carbonated before I start drinking them, so I'm scouring the back of the fridge for bottles again. It has completely changed. It's clear and clean and fizzy and really sweet apple tasting. In fact, it tasted almost just like the Harpoon Cider I had the night before (another back-of-the fridge deal). It is amazing to me. I had figured it would have either been super sour or turned into vinegar or something. But it was now perfect. And of course that was the last one.

Patience is a virtue. It's too bad I'm not normally all that virtuous.

I brewed a coconut milk stout for my fiances birthday beer. Everything went well, numbers were all good and fermentation was active within hours. Well, I came home from work and checked the closet where the beer was fermenting and the darn thing had blown it's top. Beer all over the basement, and it was lava flowing out the top!

I cleaned up what I could, washed the airlock out and resanitized everything. A couple days later, I pushed on the carboy (6 gallon BB) which I often do to get a smell of the brew, and this one was rancid! Smelled like rotting fruit. I attributed that to the fermentation blowing up and just assumed that some nasties from the air got in there while the beer was exposed to air.

Three weeks goes by, still smells bad, but I have an obligation to complete this birthday brew, so I rack it into a secondary over 3 pounds of toasted coconuts. A couple weeks pass, each day I smell the airlock, same fruity smell, very astrigent. Christmas comes around, it's already past her birthday and I've given up on the beer, but I don't want to dump it...so it sits in there for another couple weeks on the coconut.

Finally I needed the bucket it was in for another brew, so I decide to just deal with it. I dipped in a sanitized tasting glass, and swirl it around in my mouth and who would have thought that it actually cleaned itself up, and while the taste isn't perfect, it's very much a drinkable brew now! The beer sat on the coconut for so long that there is no doubt what the beer is; it's blasting with toasted coconut flavor!

On tap right now carbing up; and one lesson learned; give it time, and use a blow-off tube in the future. :)

I love this thread. It gives me hope for the future. Last night by faith, I bottled a first attempt at a Berliner Weiss. It had one redeeming quality, it was wet. Not sour at all, and an off flavor that was not encouraging. But into the bottles it went and once a month I will chill one and see how it tastes. I do not intend to put this in the fridge until it tastes right, is that ok?

I can finally add my $.02 to this thread. Time cannot heal a severely scorched IPA. I tasted one bottle a month for a year and a half and all that happened is it lost all traces of the hops and now it's like drinking a scotch ale out of a well used ashtray...

I think I'm finally dumping the last 3 bottles of it...

Just thought I'd add my experiences...

I brewed a Honey lager once with some Safelager S-23. This Beer has no idea how close it came to the drain... After 3 weeks of Primary/Secondary fermentation in the upper 50's I bottled and let condition for 3 more weeks. Beer was so bad it wasn't drinkable. Very fruity, almost like a bag of Jolly Ranchers accidentally got spilled into the secondary. After reading about other brewers having similar results with this yeast, I was ready to chalk it up as an experience in bad yeast and call it a loss...

However, I wasn't in dire need for the bottle space, so I just stashed the stuff back in the basement and left it alone for 2 more months.... and wouldn't you know it... a completely different beer. Overpowering fruitiness was almost gone. While it still wasn't one of my best beers, it was quite drinkable. After another month, the stuff was quite good.

Another batch that narrowly missed it's apparent fate with the drain, was a leftover batch I made. I had built up a collection of leftover grains and hops and wanted to purge my inventory, so I crafted up a Amber ale recipe the best I could and gave it a whirl with some US-05... The recipe isn't really important right now, but what did occur was after my normal 3 weeks of ferm and 3 weeks in the bottle, the beer was downright embarrassing. Bitter in a bad way, Huge diacetyl butter bomb flavor and an almost ashtray or dirt undertone. Now this time around I didn't want this monstrosity taking up the bottle space for 3 months, but remembering the results I had with my Honey lager I summoned the will power to leave it alone. Sure enough after 3 months of bottle conditioning in the mid 50's to mid 60's this stuff was amazing! Perfect blend of carmel, nuttiness and hoppiness. It was almost like a rich man's Fat Tire, without the shortcomings. Took it to some beer tasting events and it was hands down a hit with many a beer snobs, beating out many critically acclaimed commercial craft offerings.

Most off flavors will mellow out or even go away entirely with time, yo just have to have the patience to wait.

I am glad i had read this thread before dumping my last batch of Vanilla Stout. I decided to add vanilla extract before bottling instead of vanilla beans in the secondary and the first 3 months after bottling, it tasted like only vanilla extract.

That has since faded and the roastiness of the stout is the main flavor again.

I guess time does heal all wounds...

I have an post to the contrary. I made up an all grain batch of BMs Centennial blond. I did a little experiment and use straight untreated/filtered tap water. That beer only got worse. It went from drinkable when young to nasty at month 4/5. I dumped that ***** because I found empty bottles more useful than choking down that noxious tap water tainted beer.

Unfortunately, I have a tale of woe also. My first high gravity beer was a Belgian Strong Ale, OG 1.104. It finished high despite adding champagne yeast, probably caramelized and was too dark, and tasted like it got oxidized from all my attempts to get the ferment to finish. I brewed it September 2007, and kept hoping it would get better. I finally decided last week that if it still tasted like sweet sherry after almost 3 1/2 years, it wasn't going to change. My first drain-brau.

The good news is that I've successfully made Tripels since.

My third brew was a NB Irish Red Ale. I'm pretty sure the yeast crapped out at some point, because the final gravity was pretty off, and my alcohol content was closer to 4% than the 6% is was supposed to be. After 3 weeks it tasted terrible. It was sweet and had almost a plasticy after taste. It's been sitting for almost 3 months now and while it has gotten a little better, it's certainly not yet "good." I'll probably let it sit there for up to a year and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

It was extract with steeped specialty grains. I can only assume the yeast crapped out, because my original gravity was in the right place. My final gravity was much higher than it should have been, and that beer fermented for a month.

Ha! Love it! I had a similar story with a Newcastle Clone of mine. Tasted like butt for the first few months. Then, when I had "tasted" so much there were only about 16 left, something magical happened. It has a happy ending though, I bootlegged the final 12 to some friends at a school picnic and they absolutely loved it. I should've waited longer, patience is so hard though sometimes especially when something tastes bad. :)

I can testify to the magic of time as well!!!! My golden ale fermented too hot, and while brewing it (after consuming a few too many home-brews beforehand) I decided it would be a good idea to dump in some extra corn sugar to up the abv. In addition I think I may have witnessed a mild infection (that one is debatable). But regardless, the beer tasted pretty awful- Definitly a "hot" taste. Well that was December, now this beer tastes pretty damn good! Yeast are amazing little things if you give them time.

eh, when I can determine known infections, i.e. sour in a red ale that wasn't supposed to be there, etc. I will let it sit a while and see what happens, but if I need the keg or carboy, that thing is getting poured which may be the case for one of mine. BUT someone may like it, in this case that is true, so I may give it away but have them not give any to anybody else ever. lol.

I have an amber ale that I was going to dump until I read this thread. It fermented too hot (I can tell by the taste) and I put some cane sugar in it to "accentuate" the hops that I don't think helped the flavor at all. It spent about 10 days in primary and it's been about 2 weeks in secondary, I think. I tasted it tonight because I was thinking of bottling it, and I really couldn't stomach it. I'm not bottling it tonight. I think I'll wait another week or two in secondary, bottle it up, and cross my fingers.

I have an amber ale that I was going to dump until I read this thread. It fermented too hot (I can tell by the taste) and I put some cane sugar in it to "accentuate" the hops that I don't think helped the flavor at all. It spent about 10 days in primary and it's been about 2 weeks in secondary, I think. I tasted it tonight because I was thinking of bottling it, and I really couldn't stomach it. I'm not bottling it tonight. I think I'll wait another week or two in secondary, bottle it up, and cross my fingers.

You have to see a beer through it's entire process, and that means bottling and leaving it there for at least 6 weeks before truly judging a beer. I've said it over and over, you can't judge a beer in primary or secondary, the mere presence of carbonation and bottle conditioning alone goes a long way in transforming the beer towards it's final form.....bottle it, and leave it alone. And more than likely you will post that you're glad you listened to us and saw it through....

Read this.

I've been waiting for my 08-08-08 RIS to finally lose the nasty after taste for what 3 years now? Tried a bottle a few weeks ago, and actually drank the whole thing. Its not great, but its better than it was. 4 or 5 more years, I'll be great!

Ive got several kegs of acer taste beer that im waiting on, but not having high hopes for them....

I'm pretty new at home brewing, but I too have witnessed the wonder of time and yeast. I only have about 5 batches under my belt. On my first AG batch I got ahead of myself and decided not to brew a kit or a known recipe, but to use BeerSmith to make my own sweet stout recipe. Looking back it was almost doomed before it started because I didn't adjust for my equipment and really didn't have a good idea of how to create a recipe in the first place.

So anyhow, I had horrible efficiency and didn't get near the OG that I needed. As if that wasn't enough, the previous batch had a metallic off taste that I didn't take any measures to correct. It sat in the primary for two weeks. I tested the FG, and it came in around 3.6% abv. Not near what a sweet stout should be as far as I'm concerned. It was also very cloudy. Just like the previous batch. The taste.....metallic with a slight hint of caramel. I almost dumped it. As a matter of fact that night I ordered a kit from NB and had planned on dumping it and using that primary for the kit. Luckily I ordered a better bottle along with that kit and decided to secondary my so called "sweet stout".

Good thing I was patient and did that because WOW! It cleaned up very clear. Instead of a sweet stout though it turned out to be a beautiful amber. It actually looks exactly like Sam Adams Winter Lager and tastes similar. With the low ABV it will be a nice dinner or session beer. It's definitely something I'm going to serve to family and friends.

Cheers!

brewed a NB German Alt back in March and left it in the primary for 3 weeks and then moved it to the secondary. While in the secondary I noticed some strange little things floating on top or just below the surface. They looked like off white octopuses with stubby legs. First there was one and then each day I would find another... after a few days, there were, I don't know, maybe 5 or six in there. I think i had it in the secondary for nearly two weeks. I racked it to my bottling bucket on April 29th and sampled it and it was awful, tasted like medicine. I was ready to dump, but couldn't bring myself to dump it and bottled it. I am not going to touch it for a few weeks, hope it surprises me. I love German beers and was really excited about this one.

A few days later I racked an ESB to the secondary. When I was getting ready to put the auto-syphon into the carboy, I noticed one of my wife's hairs sticking to my hands. I tried to wave it away and rub it onto my pants. I thought i succeded. I washed my hands and continued. While cleaning the auto syphon, I found the hair stuck to the bottom of it, covered in yeast cake... doh. A few days later, that beer had those weird octopus looking things floating on top and just below the surface, as well as some mold looking slicks on top.

I racked it to the bottling bucket, sampled it, it tasted fine and bottled it. The ESB looked worse than the alt. I had a bad feeling when I saw that hair. I should have been more careful. I hope they both come out ok.

Had a brown ale that seemed to be wayy to bitter and funky just a few months ago
just tryed a bottle last weekend, lambic, gueuze call it what you want but not bad at all

My first sour ale was not intentional but it turned out ok after all

I have dumped a handful of batches in three years of homebrewing. All were deffinately infected and most were in the infancy of my obsession (sanitize, sanitize, sanitize). I dont doubt maybe one or two might have turned into something "interesting" but I figure life is too short for medicore beer. However I did drink one batch that, I assumed, got infected with some wild yeast. A fat tire clone brewed with notty under temperature control that deffinately had tons of esters. It tasted like a belgian amber and was a pleasent surprise.

I made a Light-IPA that i made from a second runnings of Barley wine. It tasted like water and yeast, and that was after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning for carbonation (used table sugar). So i set it in the closet for two months and now its great, you cant even tell its a light beer, and the hops come through with a very bright flavor.

I've got two recent "did I ruin it" stories to share - my most recent two batches!

The first week of April I bottled up an experimental ale. It was at a time I was really hurting for bottle donations, and without realizing I ran out of bottles about 3/4 of the way through a 23L batch. I drove down to my local HBS for help and ended up buying a wide-diameter cap press and caps so I could use empty champagne bottles the missus had from a party a few days prior. Saved! In they went and to the closet for aging. I crack one open 3 weeks later. Plenty of head, beautiful colour... but something was wrong. The head was overly-metallic, the brew tasted off. Soapy. I dumped it and tried another from a longneck. Same taste. My heart sunk! Whatever I did, I must have ruined the batch. Or so I thought. I gave it another couple of weeks and gave some to the boys at work. They reckoned it tasted great! What the...? Then I give one to a friend of the missus. "Fabulous, tastes like a Fat Yak lite. How'd you manage it?" he says. So I pour a glass. Looks about the same as before, but this time the smell of hops and slight floral notes have replaced the "bag of coins" aroma. Mouthfeel is good. Finish ain't bad either. I'm keeping this one in the closet for another month or two at least after realizing I was panicking and not letting the beer do its thing.

The most recent batch was started one month ago. After two weeks of the FG not where I thought it should be and a holiday coming up fast, I decided to leave it sit in the primary until I got back. It was only until today that I thought I should check on it. I opened it up to take a gravity reading and there was a thin white film over the top of the wort, the beautiful aroma that used to permeate from the surface had been replaced by a musty, almost stale aroma. Guess what? My heart sank again, thinking "infection is one of the few reasons to dump." But this was a Munton's Gold kit and I'm a tightarse, so something in me decided to give it a taste test. I poured an ounce into my snifter and looked at it. Crystal clear with a beautiful deep brown hue, simply beautiful. The smell and taste weren't as... satisfying as when I last checked on it but it still tasted pretty good without any clear off taste or sour notes. I figured, maybe it's just a surface film and hasn't penetrated the wort deep. So I say screw it and start bottling, tasting a bit after every 3-4L with still no change. I stopped bottling just before the surface got too close to the spigot. Something tells me this beer is going to surprise me just as the last one did. Just gotta let the yeasties do their thing and trust them.

Never ending +1s to Revvy for his timeless advice, it hasn't steered me wrong!

I brewed an American Amber from an extract kit. It tasted fine when I bottled it two weeks ago. I broke out a bottle last night, even though it was only two weeks, and it had kind of a chemical smell to it as well as an aftertaste of the same nature. It had good color and head retention, and showed no visible signs of infection. I was wondering why the change from bottling day to now. Way too soon to give up on it, but has anyone had the same experience?:tank:

Back