Nettle Wine Stuck After 1.5 week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingstonWelrow

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've had a nettle wine fermenting for just under 2 weeks. It started off at a fairly substantial rate, but slowed down and now it has pretty much stopped.

I have since tried to restart it, with "re-start" yeast (which I believe has a more acidic tolerance and a higher alcohol tolerance), I've added more nutrients and a small bit of sugar, but all to no avail sadly. I've just tested its SG and it reads approximately 1.035. Going off the recipe I used, it should ferment for about three months, admittedly when I did try to rectify the situation it did taste alright, though a bit sharp...

Would anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you, Adam.

So far I have had good luck restarting using a small jar of apple juice and a pack of yeast with a tsp of energizer and nutrient mixed in. Let the yeast get a good start and put half in the carboy. Then draw a little wine back out and top off the apple juice. Let sit and repeat till you get it going. As long as you only use half the starter each time it is pretty easy to keep it going like gangbusters and adding wine to top back off won't slow it down. Mike

Back