neophyte seeking guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpha224

Reaction score
Hey, I am extremely new to this and wondered if there is a definitive list of equipment and literature I absolutely need. I have a bottling bucket (w/spigot & lid), about 7-8' of hosing, a "fermentometer" for on the side of my fermentor, an "S" style airlock, and a long brewing spoon/paddle... Besides a brew kettle, am I forgetting anything I need before bottling?

Bottles and caps. LOL.

You don't mention that you have a bucket for fermenting, but I assume you do. I often find it useful to have an extra bucket as well, for soaking equipment in a sanitizing solution.

As far as literature, there is a lot out there. Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing is a good start, and an entertaining read. John Palmer's How to Brew is also very helpful, and free online at howtobrew.com.

One of the sources I checked had said I could use the bottling bucket to ferment with extract kits

You can use any bucket, alpha, but you need a second bucket. After fermentation is complete (and giving the yeast some extra time to clean up any off-flavors) you will want to transfer your beer to another bucket to add your priming sugar.

Ahh, it makes more sense now... When looking for a ferm bucket, would a 5gal bucket be big enough, or should I look for something a little larger, like 6+gal.?

Ahh, it makes more sense now... When looking for a ferm bucket, would a 5gal bucket be big enough, or should I look for something a little larger, like 6+gal.?

You will probably want something 6+.

Also make sure you have a good thermometer for pitching temps, sanitizer (rinse-free stuff like StarSan or Iodophor is nice), a hydrometer is nice to have, but not totally necessary, and also possibly an auto-siphon so you can transfer your wort or beer without worry of sanitation issues.

IMO, you should definately have a hydrometer to tell you when fermentation is complete (same sg three days in a row). Without that check, you could have bottle bombs.

Sorry if I am asking to many questions, but what style would you guys suggest I do on my first go? I personally enjoy yuengling(sp?) Lager, and have been thinking of possibly doing a clone of that with a nice orange/citrus note to it after I get a few batches under my belt.

Sorry if I am asking to many questions, but what style would you guys suggest I do on my first go? I personally enjoy yuengling(sp?) Lager, and have been thinking of possibly doing a clone of that with a nice orange/citrus note to it after I get a few batches under my belt.

There are lots of kits out there. I'd suggest starting with an ale, rather than a lager, because the yeast is somewhat more forgiving. I would also start with something that isn't real complicated, with lots of hop additions or specialty grains -- you want to focus more on the brewing process the first few batches. Also, something with fewer ingredients makes it easier to understand the impact an ingredient has on your beer.

Complete Joy of Homebrewing or How to Brew

Probably two of the best sources of information and will answer more questions than you can ask.

Just my opinion.....

I've never read any books on homebrewing. Just buzz the site here for info.

You will need ingredients. I don't see that in your list of items.

Welcome!

When it comes to fermentation, I am curious if there is a way to use dry ice at all?

Back