Nema L5-30

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spellman

Reaction score
I'm acquiring all of my components to build a 50a electric panel. I just realized I ordered L5-30 plugs and receptacles for the heat elements. Didn't realize this beforehand, but they are rated for 120v 30a instead of 240v 30a. Will I have any issues using these or do I need to get the L6's? Is there much of a difference? Obviously this is the only thing they will be used for, so I won't be sticking them in foreign places that are expecting 120v.

Why there are quite so many NEMA standards I have no idea.

But this substitution is definitely *not* recommended. Someone (other than you) could get a nasty surprise by plugging something in to your L5-30 receptacle and finding a hot wire where they expected neutral.

I know the risks of plugging in something that isn't expecting 240v would be...bad. I was wondering if they would stand the voltage. This will be the only thing in the house that has a nema plug like that. On top of that it will be in the brewery in the basement, and someone would have to start up the CP and plug it in to use what every they thought they needed to plug in. I'm thinking that risk that something else gets plugged in is very very low (it would have to be me, and I'm not going to do that nor have anything else to plug in).

It would handle the voltage, the only thing making it 120v and not 240v is the configuration.

Latest posts

Back