NEIPA Super Spicy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is this normal when tasting the hydro sample before kegging? It has a super spicy bite to it, but everything else seems dead on, the smell, and color, etc. I imagine the hops smooth out quite a bit? Anyone experience this?

Yeah, you're tasting a ton of hop acid. Give it another 2 weeks or so in the keg.

No matter what anyone says, these NEIPA's are still best after a ~2 week rest.

Cool. Thanks for that. I was afraid I ruined it. It will definitely rest in the keg for a few weeks. I'm kegging after 12 days and dry hopping a bit more in the keg. Does that sound right?

I would have thought so, but that harsh spiciness was there in the wort before fermenting, right after the hop stand, too.

My guess is you're chewing hop particles. I would either crash before transferring to the keg or pick up a clear beer draught system. I have had an issue a few times with what I would describe as a harsh bitterness that would mellow over time but CBDS seems to have cleared that up for me.

Back