NEIPA Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to brew a NEIPA this weekend - the initial post on page 1 of this thread is the recipe Im gong to do - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

The dry hopping in this recipe calls for the 2nd dry hopping to be done in a purged keg. I only have 1 keg and don't plan to buy a second one just yet. My question is can i just do both dry hops in the primary, then transfer to keg and carbonate?

I know it will change the end result a bit but should still be a good beer, right?

Yupp, I do one massive DH on day 2 or 3.

It's a great recipe.

You could also dry hop in these spice sacks in the keg (I use them all the time, just hit with some starsan before packing hops in)

Regency Spice Bags - http://amzn.to/2wWiNAZ

You can tie them up with fishing line so that they sit at the top of the keg as the beer goes down on day 14.

I do the first dry hop in the primary and the second in the serving keg. I use hop bags though so it minimizes hop particles. I tie the bag with unflavored dental floss to a post or handle and suspend mid keg. Dry hop at room temp for 3-5 days and then into the kegerator.

I've done both single large dry hop in primary and two rounds of dry hopping in the primary, both followed by a cold crash and virtually closed transfer to a keg with great results.

Ok, next question... Given that recipe, what kind of mash volume would you go with? I'm not sure what the difference is if you go 1.1 qts/lb or if you go 1.35 qts/lb. Given that this is for a NEIPA, what kind of mash volume do you guys usually go with?

Also wondering about sparge water temp. Should sparge water be at 170*F or do you raise the temp in the mash to 170*F and use sparge water that's closer to 150-160?

I brewed a similar recipe with a slightly different grain bill. I added a 6 oz dry hop of 3 oz citra, 2 oz mosaic and 1 oz el dorado all at one shot about maybe a week after brewing and 5 days before kegging. Came out with a great aroma and a great taste. Also used the Omega DIPA yeast with a 1500 ml starter. Definitely the best of 3 attempts at a NEIPA.

Back