Neighbors calling the cops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodfatherX

Reaction score
So I was wondering if anyone has actually had the neighbors call the cops on them for brewing. My parents were quite worried about it the other day when they came home and saw what my brewing set up looks like. They were worried people might think I was distilling or cooking meth. Especially because of the copper coil lol. So has anyone actually had the cops called on them?

Let them call. You're not doing anything illegal.

I was brewing the other day in my back yard and my neighbor asked me if I was making moonshine because he saw the copper immersion chiller. Though he's not the type to call the cops. he was just wondering.

My neighbor across the street yelled out "Ya making meth over there?" once. I yelled back "beer" but I don't think that's what he heard...he just looked at me funny and that was that.

I'm still waiting for him to call the cops. I'm also waiting till my beer is kegged to have him over and show him what it's about.

Course, he might think I'm hiding meth in my beer...

Yeah, it's the IC that looks like some kind of crazy vapor condenser that people always ask about. Like special hops says, let 'em call the cops, homebrewing is legal. Just make sure, if you have overzealous, bored-assed keystone cops in your area, that you don't have any other violations when they show up. There are way too many keystone cops out there that have nothing better to do than write you a ticket for something like "incorrect mailbox mounting height" or some crap like that...and believe me, if you looked on the local ordinance books, you'd probably find 15 things that you're violating right now by simply eating, breathing and sleeping. They just usually choose not to enforce it...but some bored cops will do just that.

No cops, but I have had people walking down the street come ask me what I was doing. I tell them and the guys say "cool, can I see" and then start asking questions - their swmbo's are usually trying to pull them back ionto the street at that point.

there was that video of COPS someone posted a couple months back of the guy who they busted for other offenses, but they found home brewing equipment in his garage and the cops took it in as evidence. I remember the cop at the end of the segment saying something like, well this home beer making stuff is fun and all, but if you have one bad batch you can kill yourself or go blind... something to that effect.

there was that video of COPS someone posted a couple months back of the guy who they busted for other offenses, but they found home brewing equipment in his garage and the cops took it in as evidence. I remember the cop at the end of the segment saying something like, well this home beer making stuff is fun and all, but if you have one bad batch you can kill yourself or go blind... something to that effect.
I think that was the one I was referring to..., but also another...;)

I don't know anyone who has had that happen. Not even Bill; who looks like a shady character, talks really fast, lives in bad areas and has enough brewing & distilling equipment to launch a space shuttle.

never had the cops called on me. but i had an indian repair man freak out when he came into my apartment one time. he started covering his eyes acting like he didnt see all of these bubbling carboys and digital scale and all. it was awsome.

[youtube]CXTqCZi8iOM[/youtube]

I wonder whatever happened to the cop...I bet the guy's lawyer had a field day.

The only cop intervention I had brewing beer went as follows;

Me: Sitting outside watching the boil going on, having a beer
Cops: Driving along the street, slow down in front of my house a little
Me: Waves to the cops
Cops: Wave back, continue on up the street.

That's it.

I keep a six pack of my last batch chilled for this very reason. If cops show up to ask questions, they will leave with a six pack if they want it. Not a bribe, just a sample to take home and try if they are curious and cool about it.

The first person to ever stop and inquire about what I was doing in my garage was a cop! But he's my neighbor and he was out for a walk with his wife and newborn kid. :D He's a nice guy and always asks what I'm brewing when he sees me out with the brew equipment. I've offered him beers, but he has recently been diagnosed with a severe diabetes problem (he actually went blind for a few days), so he has to politely decline.

My landlord is a cop who's wife runs a business next door. They had never seen me brewing, but will drop by socially and see the carboys and hosing and other paraphernalia. They have never said anything, but gave me funny looks when I talked to them about running hop bines along side the south end of the house.

yep I have. I live within 100 yards of a substation. all my neighbors speak a different language and have never tried to be social even with hello waves as the roll by. the cops came by on the report I was cooking meth. They found me in my driveway cleaning equipment. The chiller seemed to be very interesting to them since they thought it was a distilling condenser. to make things easy, I invited them inside to see the entire setup(at the time I was doing 5 gal batches on the stove.) I showed them boil apparatus, the beginning stages of the keezer, some spent specialty grain that hadn't been taken to the trash yet. my collection of cornies and carboys, gave them a little education on beer production and vented a cornie so they could smell the beer. showed them some hops. they thought it was fascinating. I also invited them to come over some evening after shift to have a few. Although they haven't taken me up on it, at least now someone waves back as they roll by.

My neighbor jokingly asked if I was making meth or beer when I first started brewing. Now he just wants to sample a glass.

Really the only shady looking things are carboys and the immersion chiller. Homebrewing in my state is legal so nothing to worry about.

Let them call. You're not doing anything illegal.

... Unless you live in Utah! But then again, kegs are illegal outside a licensed club or tavern. I brew quite openly in my back yard, haven't had any trouble. But it would be interesting to see what law enforcement would do with the situation. I am not aware of any case in Utah where a homebrewer has been cited. But, I suppose it is possible.

No one on my street would really care what was going on I don't think. I think everyone on my street has the mind set of "If he was doing something illegal he would not be doing it in his front yard for everyone to see."
If your distilling then I guess your SOL, start calling Reps/Senators to amend the laws.

No one on my street would really care what was going on I don't think. I think everyone on my street has the mind set of "If he was doing something illegal he would not be doing it in his front yard for everyone to see."
If your distilling then I guess your SOL, start calling Reps/Senators to amend the laws.

Ah, the Illuminati concept - the best place to hide a secret society is in plain view....

I've played the scenario through in my mind, but it's not happened yet. I worry just a bit because homebrewing is technically illegal in Kentucky. But, hey, what I am supposed to do, NOT brew beer? Unpossible.

i read that article and i think the guy that wrote it is on crack...i think he was one of those bull **** journalists. but my uncle told me (he lives in bama) that u can brew in alabama u just cant buy equipement from homebrew stores. i dont know if he is correct but the law makes sense

i read that article and i think the guy that wrote it is on crack...i think he was one of those bull **** journalists. but my uncle told me (he lives in bama) that u can brew in alabama u just cant buy equipement from homebrew stores. i dont know if he is correct but the law makes sense

So much for that HB store in Birmingham...if it's illegal how'd he get a business license??? :confused: :D

There is 2 homebrew shops in AL...one has been in business for 15 yrs.....but just like ,my state hb is illegal,,they stay in operation though..I have spoken with the guy in Mobile for advise on starting one the the GREAT state Of MS

I figure if my neighbors are OK with all the racket I make working on my cars, they're probably OK with the brewing!

I've never had any one call the cops, but my next door neighbor, who's a "Friend of Bill W." told me yesterday that while I was doing a double brew session Sunday, the aromas were driving him crazy !

Never had anyone call the cops however my neighbor is a cop and comes over from time to time to watch/help. Good guy.

I always have this in the back of my mind when brewing. I don't use an IC or CFC so, I don't worry about what anyone may assume by the looks of it. However, it is not legal to brew here and I have a 2 year old and another on the way.

The last thing I need is a meddling neighborhood walker calling the cops and or DHS on me for making beer. Especially considering that Wine and Cider are legal but then , I don't drink those.

So, usually I brew in the garage with the door mostly closed. It's just not worth the potential frustration.

This actually happened Sunday when I was teaching my roommate how to brew. (Curious neighbors, not calling cops.) We were outside, and our neighbor poked her head out her back door and wondered if we were having a fish fry. I told her we were making home made beer. She gave me a funny look and enthusiastically said, "How cool!"

Around 15 minutes later, her friends came by and we got to talking with one of them. Her brother and uncle used to homebrew, albeit with a different setup. Small world.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing this past Sunday. We just moved to a nice small (but very religious) town and here I am, garage door open, turkey fryer boiling, big stir stick in one hand, glass of beer in the other, wort chiller in the cooler on the floor, mad grin on my face - probably looked like a meth-cooking maniac. so after a while I closed the main door and just opened the back door for air.:rockin:

Desert Monkey says,
"Course, he might think I'm hiding meth in my beer..."

- Isn't that where we all hide our meth???

Chimone says,
"What if you are in the backyard brewing naked? Is that illegal?"

- Don't ask the question if you dobn't want to know the answer!

David 42 says,
and has enough brewing & distilling equipment to launch a space shuttle.

- "Houston, we have a problem..."

EvilTOJ says,

Me: Sitting outside watching the boil going on, having a beer
Cops: Driving along the street, slow down in front of my house a little
Me: Waves to the cops
Cops: Wave back, continue on up the street.
beerthirty
Although they haven't taken me up on it, at least now someone waves back as they roll by.

and

paulvp says,
Never had anyone call the cops however my neighbor is a cop and comes over from time to time to watch/help. Good guy.

- Gives a new meaning to "Protect and Serve".

Seriously, unless HBT is blocked in the slammer, I'm glad that no one has really gotten in trouble.

While deployed to the desert, I often day dreamed about what I might be able to get away with brewing. Never tried it... but it helped pass the hours.

Michael

Back