Negative effects of...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlova2

Reaction score
My DIPA has been fermenting for 8 days around 60F and it is down to 1.023 from 1.081 OG. I am wanting it to finish at 1.011-1.016 so I put it on top of the heating vent in the house to warm it up and I shook it around. It is ten gallons in a sanke keg fermenter. I am wondering if it is going to warm up too much. I put a small tasting glass of water on the same heater and it warmed up to 86.5F but that was only 3oz or water and the beer is ten gallons. Any opinions about whether this will have negative effects or will even help to get my gravity lower? The yeast is 3 packs of US-05.

You should be fine setting it near the heater.. the small glass has a much smaller volume, and it was touching (and physically above - heat rises)

as a side note, i think a fermentation temp of 60 degrees was too low to get the attenuation you were looking for. I would have fermented 68 -70.

Pick up a sterilite tote and an aquarium heater. Put 10 gallons of water in the tote, along with the heater. Once it is up to temp you'll have perfect adjustment of fermentation temps, with all of $30 invested.

Latest posts

Back