Need to sanitize plastic wrap or foil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tippetsnapper

Reaction score
I've been using foil to cover my starters and my boil kettle while its chilling. Anyone see the need to give a soak in sanitizer prior to using?

I consider it sanitary off the roll. Not sure why, maybe the heat of manufacturing? I know some here talk of sanitizing foil, but I never bother.

I consider it sanitary off the roll. Not sure why, maybe the heat of manufacturing? I know some here talk of sanitizing foil, but I never bother.

Agree with this and if you're putting the foil on right after flameout, the steam is killing anything that would be on there anyways.

I read somewhere someone was using plastic ziplock bags to store their yeast because the come in the box zipped up and should be sanitary off the line.

I always wipe it with starsan before putting on top of the flask, though i don't let it sit for the 60 second contact time. Why take the risk?

When I am making a starter I have a small container of sanitizer that I soak my foil in so it's good and sanitized when I cover my starter with it. I don't see any reason not to sanitize it.

I sanitize my foil as well. I just give a little spritz from a spray bottle of star san.

I have Starsan in a bucket to sanitize the flask, stir bar and funnel, so I just cut off a square piece of foil and drop in the bucket with the other stuff. Better safe than sorry. I even sanitize the sauce pan lid before the boil is done.

I make my starters in a flask and do the boil with the foil on. That does just fine.

But when I brew, I spread out wax paper on the table to put my racking and whatnot can on after sanitizing and I just rip that out of the box.

Back