Need to rouse yeast before bottling aged sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Last night I finally bottled the Belgian sour that I brewed in May 2010 (yes, I actually restrained myself for that long). I don't do much bottling these days, but I didn't want to keg this one. Anyhow, I am wondering after the fact, given that the beer sat in the fermenter for 15 months, was I supposed to rouse the yeast before bottling? (I didn't). Could there still have been enough yeast in suspension for bottle conditioning?

Thanks

PnG

Just wanted to update the thread in case anyone is interested. I cracked open a bottle today to satisfy my curiosity about whether this was going to carbonate, and the bottle had some carbonation but also some residual sweetness, I believe from the priming sugar. I suppose that I unintentionally roused some yeast sediment when I siphoned from the primary to the bottling bucket. I'll let them age for a few weeks.
This just underscores the wisdom of RDWHAH.

Back