Need some thoughts and ideas on color...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstatepike

Reaction score
So... I am in the process of formulating recipes in tribute to all of my close friends. The idea is to make 6 beers that reflect my 6 best friends personalities. The first one I am working on is a blonde ale, except this is to be a "dirty" blonde. Yeah, multiple references. :)

Anyway, what grain could I add to a standard-type blonde ale recipe to give it a little tinge of brown without changing the flavor too much?

Thanks in advance.

There is a product that is malt color extract. Northern brewer carries a version called Sinamar.

Here is the description from their site.

Sinamar is a coloring agent from Weyermann Malz. Because it is essentially a malt extract made from roasted grain (their proprietary Carafa), it is 100% in keeping with the Reinheitsgebot purity law and can be used to add color to dark beers without the bitterness of roasted malts — great for Schwarzbier! Add to the boil; 4 ounces in 5 gallons adds 16 SRM of color.

Sinamar.jpg

Latest posts

Back