Need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigkevj

Reaction score
I purchased the big river brown ale from Midwest, and am planning on starting it this weekend. This is the first time I have used anything but extracts. I got the bag of grains, and I had them mill/crack/whatever you call it before bagging. My question is: there is a lot of dust in the bottom of the bag. Should i pour that into my water when steeping the grains? Should I wait and put it into my wort while its boiling? Should i discard it? Not sure what to do with the dust, any help would be appreciated.

I think the instructions read to steep the grains in the grain bag, then add the LME and hops and boil for an hour

Then you'll be dumping all the grain and dust into a grain bag, steep for 20-30 minutes (not exceeding 170F), then remove the grains and bring to boil, add LME and hops, boil.

Never boil your grains unless you want a tannin flavored beer (i.e. don't do it)

I understand that. But if I pour the "dust" into the bag, won't it just fall out either on the counter or in the wort? I just want to make sure thats ok.

Don't worry about it, the dust will not hurt your brew if it gets into the wort. Just pour the grains into the grain bag and add to 160deg water, let steep for 20 minutes and remove, then brew as you have been.

Back