Need some help selecting a propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseApacheMaster

Reaction score
After completely destroying two burners on the kitchen stove, I have been banished from using the stove for brewing.

I currently have two kettles -- one aluminum (8 gallons) and one steel (5 gallons). Both are thin metal kettles, no heavy duty steel or triple layer bottom kettles. I do not know which burners would be safe to use without burning a hole in the bottom of the kettle. I make no larger than 5 gallon batches. The largest batch would start at 6.5 gallons (90 minutes at 1 gal boiloff per hour) and end at 5.

Would any of the burners be safe to use with these kettles? I know I could find some turkey fryers with a kettle but I don't really have room for yet another kettle in the house.

I'm a fan of the Bayou Classic KAB4. I graduated from the burner that came with a turkey frier to the KAB4 shortly after I started brewing and liked it so much that I bought a 2nd one when I went to all grain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan of the Bayou Classic KAB4. I graduated from the burner that came with a turkey frier to the KAB4 shortly after I started brewing and liked it so much that I bought a 2nd one when I went to all grain.

+1

I've been using the KAB4 for several months now without any complaint.

I plan on getting a Blichmann burner next, for a second burner, not to replace my current one. I'll compare them side by side to see IF there's any difference where I brew. Whichever gets the wort to a boil faster will be used for that, and when I need fast response. The other will be set for use in getting sparge water to temp, and heating other water volumes as needed.

BTW, I've used my 8 gallon aluminum stock pot/kettle, 10 gallon Blichmann kettle, and 15 gallon aluminum stock pot/kettle on my KAB4 without any stability issues. I expect to have the same results with the keg mash tun (making that on Saturday) since the OD of the keg is the same as the Blichmann 10 gallon kettle. :rockin:

At 55,000 BTU I am pretty sure it can get the job done, but it doesn't look very stable. Have you ever had any stability issues? I use at least a 15 gal kettle and I would worry about flooding my brewspace with hot wort.

It's very stable and I use it with a 15.5 gal converted keg kettle regularly. It's also not very tall which translates to a lower center of gravity. There are much easier ways to flood your brew space with hot water or wort.

Don't be fooled by the often highly inflated BTU ratings listed for various burners. The manufacturers can claim any rating they want and they often highly exaggerate them for marketing purposes. The SQ-14 has more than enough power for the typical home brew system. I would go with a banjo type burner for max power if that's what your after.

I read a lot of posts to choose a burner... I quickly realized that any of the bayou burners was a good choice, but there is no consensus on which one is the best.
That being said, I went for the SQ-14 for those reasons:
* very stable and large surface. I have a 15.5 gallon kettle, and this burner is perfect for it.
* easy on propane.
* the BTU rating does not mean much if you do not have a pot large enough to efficiently transfer all this heat to your wort. It is not electric, where the heat is directly transferred to your wort, and any flame on the side of your kettle is lost heat.

I've got the 'Bayou Classic KAB4 High Pressure Banjo Cooker' also. I'm very happy with it.

Back