Need some epic beer reccomends for Turkey day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have to spend T-day with Mother-in-Law, and since the FIL split, and since my drinking partner in crime BIL is also going to be AWOL, it's looking like an awkward, boring, frustrating event.

I suspect I'll be tasked with fixing some odds and ends around the house (which would be preferable to sitting and listening to the MIL yacky yack on about her work or their latest crazy family gossip).

So I think what I need to lighten my mood is a couple of very decent, high octane holiday type beers.

I live in Michigan, so anything that you might expect to find at a decent bottle shop. I'll try and hit one up before the long, slow drive down there.

We're going to pare leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown with pecan pie for one. It should go really well together. Likely even with pumpkin pie.

Bell's%20Brewery%20Hell%20Hath%20No%20Fury%20Ale.jpg

Seems appropriate.

Have to spend T-day with Mother-in-Law, and since the FIL split, and since my drinking partner in crime BIL is also going to be AWOL, it's looking like an awkward, boring, frustrating event.

I suspect I'll be tasked with fixing some odds and ends around the house (which would be preferable to sitting and listening to the MIL yacky yack on about her work or their latest crazy family gossip).

So I think what I need to lighten my mood is a couple of very decent, high octane holiday type beers.

I live in Michigan, so anything that you might expect to find at a decent bottle shop. I'll try and hit one up before the long, slow drive down there.

Hey my Friend I can give you a couple bottles of my Smokey Pumpkin Porter which is (according to my elder brother) better than my oatmeal stout.

While not beer, it packs one helluva punch...invented by the wife I present:

Flying Apple Saucers

For 1 serving heat 8-10oz of apple cider in the micro or in a pan. Get it good and hot but not boiling. In a large mug dump in the hot cider and add in 1 shot of brandy (We perfer Korbel XS). If you need to blurr faster add in a splash of Goldschlager (1/8oz or less).

Hey my Friend I can give you a couple bottles of my Smokey Pumpkin Porter which is (according to my elder brother) better than my oatmeal stout.

I'd love it!

Lots of good suggestions. I'll have to run to Sicilianos Market either before or on the way down and see what they have.

I have a bottle of The Bruery Autumn Maple that I've been saving up for Thanksgiving.

"Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening."

Sounds fun.

can you get the Schlenkerla rauchbiers in your neck of the woods?? They go great with turket day grub.

I went to the nearby bottle shop and they had jack squat for seasonal big beers. I got a couple of more mundane imperial stouts, just to have, and finally bought a DFH 120, but nothing epic and holidayish.

I have not seen Schlenkerla there at all.

I think a trip to Siciliano's Market is in order to get anything outside the box.

I went to the nearby bottle shop and they had jack squat for seasonal big beers. I got a couple of more mundane imperial stouts, just to have, and finally bought a DFH 120, but nothing epic and holidayish.

I have not seen Schlenkerla there at all.

I think a trip to Siciliano's Market is in order to get anything outside the box.

When I was there last week they Schlenkerla, as well as a ton of Rodenbach. They also had a few bottles of Great Divide's Yeti, which I've heard good things about. I love that place.

i feel ya. i can't get it here in Texas either, but I had a few while I was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago, so I got my fix.

Any Great Lakes brews? They have good stuff.

A local bar I love always has Delirium Tremens on tap, and they were open on Thanksgiving day last year. After a tense day with my strictly no alcohol religious family, it was great to grab a seat at the empty bar and have a goblet of that stuff. I think I'll do again this year if I can.

Going to the MIL's huh? That sucks.

I'd second any Great Lakes finds, mostly because I can't get them here. Anything I've seen, you've probably had.

I have a bottle of New Glarus Belgian Red that I could send you if you want. I don't know if it'd get there by Wednesday, though.

Let me know. I can get it to UPS tomorrow.

I don't get New Glarus at the local store. I'd take a bottle if you wanted to send it!

The place in town didn't even have Edmund Fitzgerald! I did find a Leiney Imperial Stout though... LOL!

BrewerinBR dropped off a few Smoked Pumpkin Porter last night. Unfortunately I had to go out to BW3 for a Band Booster meeting, so I won't get to taste it until tonight.

While not beer, it packs one helluva punch...invented by the wife I present:

Flying Apple Saucers

For 1 serving heat 8-10oz of apple cider in the micro or in a pan. Get it good and hot but not boiling. In a large mug dump in the hot cider and add in 1 shot of brandy (We perfer Korbel XS). If you need to blurr faster add in a splash of Goldschlager (1/8oz or less).

We'll do a slight variation of that this time of year at camp - perfect for around the campfire:
we'll add a little butter to the heated cider, add spiced rum instead of brandy, then sprinkle some cinnamon on top... Gets you where you need to be without even knowing it!

Siciliano's Market is not going to be open on Thursday. So my choices are:

Go Thursday Morning and only bring the beer I can get up here (could be worse...)

Go down Wednesday evening and swing by Siciliano's Market to pick up beer, and therefore spending even more time with the MIL...

I can hear it now:

"Boy, Jim is sure drinking a lot nowadays..."

"Only when he comes to your house, mom..."

Same boat, but both MIL and GIL are coming to OUR house. I'm going to be in Holland for the next few days. I think I'll need to pick up a couple growlers of Imperial Hatter!

I don't get New Glarus at the local store. I'd take a bottle if you wanted to send it!

The place in town didn't even have Edmund Fitzgerald! I did find a Leiney Imperial Stout though... LOL!

BrewerinBR dropped off a few Smoked Pumpkin Porter last night. Unfortunately I had to go out to BW3 for a Band Booster meeting, so I won't get to taste it until tonight.

I'm out at the cottage now (and just saw this), so I won't be able to send it in time for Thanksgiving. :mad: But PM your address to me again, and I'll get it out next week.

The Bruery Autumn Maple was pretty good (I was supposed to wait for Thanksgiving? what?)

it was strong (10% I think) which seemed to negate any expected crazy sweetness that you usually associate with maple syrup. Wasn't an overpowering taste or anything. Tasty. Maybe I'll buy another bottle of I see it before next week.

I'm probably going to drink some Pumpkin Ales. Share some Southern Tier Pumpking with the wife, some sixpoint Autumnation. Normally I trend towards Brown Ales for thanksgiving.

I'm out at the cottage now (and just saw this), so I won't be able to send it in time for Thanksgiving. :mad: But PM your address to me again, and I'll get it out next week.

No worries, dear. I'll PM and you can send at your leisure.

I'm feeling better about T-day now. Looks like we can drive down early and I can pick up a few nice beers and maybe some Homebrew stuff too.

I should be smart and pack a tool kit with me for the expected FIX-ITs I'm sure will pop up.

Also, she has a wonderful attic area! Large and open. Just like you see in the movies. Maybe I can hide up there when nobody is looking. Me and my beer and my little laptop.

Back