Need pH help quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdongsr94

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew. I now have pH meter an lactic acid in hand. Thought I had a handle on it but now I am unsure. What should I be shooting for at room temp for pH on a pale ale? When people say 5.2-5.4 I am not sure of that is at 150f or 72f? I will chill to room temp for reading.

I am reading at room temp. But speaking in general, when 5.2-5.5 is stated as a good pH, is that room temp or mash temp?

It doesn't matter if the meter has temperature compensation, never measure pH at mash temperature. Its too hard on the probe and shortens its life.

The mash pH measured at room-temperature should typically fall in the range of 5.3 to 5.5.

Dumb question.... if you're not supposed to measure the mash PH at mash temps, how to you take a reading? Do you just measure the water before it goes into the mash? Do you pull a tiny bit from the mash tun and chill it and then take a reading?

I think you are supposed to chill the mash. Some meters have adjustment for temp but I have read that many ppl chill the sample anyway. I have a Hanna checker an the website shows under "environment" 0-50C. So I will not use this at mash temp and will chill a sample.

Yes - take a small sample from the mash and chill it. As I sparge I pump my MLT into my BK so I crack a valve connected to a tee on my pump suction (don't have a port on the discharge right now - suction one is usually used for priming) with the pump off for a few seconds to take enough of a sample to get a reading.

Haha. Thanks but I still don't know the reading. I am assuming 5.2-5.5 means the chilled room temp pH.

Originally Posted by Yooper

At room temperature, a good mash pH will be 5.4-5.6ish. You can use some salts, like gypsum or calcium chloride, to lower the mash pH. I use a bit of a combination- acid malt (a couple of ounces), and some calcium chloride (for malty beers) and/or gypsum (for hoppy beers).

Good ole' yoop, she specifically said at room temp measure 5.4-5.6. That's all I needed.

20 min sample came in at 5.5 pH at 75F and at 1.040 for a 4 gal mash and 10lbs of grain. Looking good. I added two ml of lactic acid to 8 gal of water to start with pretreated water. I have been releasing tannins due to high pH and RA on my Pale Ales and IPAs.

What digital PH meters are people using? I use strips and it's hard sometimes to see what they are reading.

I use the Milwaukee one that I found on HomeBrewFinds Twitter feed. It was less than $20. I just make sure I calibrate before each use and I'm good to go. I'm usually hitting 5.8 at mash temps.

Back