Need nutty malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoHomebrew

Reaction score
I need some help with a recipe. My first all grain about a year ago was a brown ale similar to Moose Drool. I've tried to replicate or tweek it twice with complete failure. The first one seems to have a rich nutty toasty taste that was awesome. When I think back I have a hunch that in the recipie below , I may have accidentally purchased pale chocolatate instead of chocolate malt and accidentally made a better beer. Does this make sense or is it the brown malt that drives the rich nutty taste?

Grain Bill
----------------
7.000 lb American 2-Row (75.68%)
0.750 lb Munich I (8.11%)
0.500 lb Brown Malt (5.41%)
0.500 lb Chocolate (5.41%)
0.500 lb Crystal 80 (5.41%)
Hop Bill
----------------
0.50 oz Galena Pellet (13.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Willamette Pellet (5.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)

maris otter is pretty nutty. i actually screwed up a beer by using MO, was meant to be an IPA, was kind of a mess but it was nutty.

2nd the victory malt.

0.5 lb chocolate malt and brown malt will likley overpower any nutty flavor in the beer with a roasty flavor.

I would substitute Victory for the Brown malt and cut the chocolate back to 4 oz.

Try using Wyeast 1272 American Ale II... it lends an amazingly nutty, but not too overpowering, flavor.

The recipie was perfect for me. The point really is, what is the difference between chocolate pale and chocolate?

Now that you mention it, the nuttier stout that I made was w/ wyeast 1272 AND pale chocolate malt. Pale malt is kilned less for a less roasted flavor.

I am almost certain I got pale Chocolate malt accidentally as a nooby and it was a great mistake. I've done around 30 batches since but never with pale chocolate. I will taste all of the malts and victory when I go to the store as that may be a nice addition. Also, just checked out 1272's profile and I like it. Didn't know there was ayeast with a nutty profile.

I tasted them all and Victory was very nutty, so I got some of that. I am going to modify the recipie to include victory and split that half pound between chocolate and pale chocolate.

Back