need my first build advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yevmeister

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i have been brewing over 2 years and have been lurking here and there. I hope other newbies to electric brewing process find this post beneficial.

I am a college student and pretty much living nomadic lifestyle from one rental property to another. I would like to switch to electric due to space limitation as well as chicago weather.

My plan is to use 15 gallon brew kettle combo HLT/Brewpot. I looked into getting SPA panel and go with the 4 wire setup, but was wondering if i could just use electric stove electric plug that is already wired to a 30 amp breaker in my apartment without spending extra $ on GFCI box

I borrowed this schematic from the fellow homebrewer
Understand-the-wiring.jpg

here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-brewing-system/step6/Understand-the-wiring/

I would like to get some professional input or suggestions from experienced members.

thank you much in advance

Yev

It sounds like you are going to build a BIAB (Brew in a bag) method. I think you can look for examples around here that show a lot of what you are looking for. Having said that, you will be fine with a stove outlet for your needs. You will only be able to run 1 heating element with a 30A service, but that should suit your needs well.

i was thinking about BIAB, but i also have a 10 gallon igloo mash tun, so i am just gonna recirculate the water .

and yes 1 5500 watt element is enough for my needs right now

Yev

My plan is to use 15 gallon brew kettle combo HLT/Brewpot. I looked into getting SPA panel and go with the 4 wire setup, but was wondering if i could just use electric stove electric plug that is already wired to a 30 amp breaker in my apartment without spending extra $ on GFCI box
The 30 amp breaker serves a different purpose than a GFCI. Basically a breaker is to help protect the building and equipment while a GFCI is to protect you! Unless your stove plug already has a GFCI, which is unlikely, you should add a GFCI. A few easy ways to do this is by using a spa panel like you mentioned or using a cable with a built in GFCI.

So if you used the spa panel you would plug your system into it and then the spa panel into your stove outlet. This may add a bit to the cost but is an important safety feature that should not be skipped on an electric brewing system.

^ thanks i found GFCI cord on craigslist
Length: ~ 6.5'
Amps: 25
Voltage: 220-250
Wire gauge: 12AWG shielded

this should suit for 1 5500 watt element considering it only needs 23 amps

i hope i am set in that aspect

Back