Need more carbonation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasii

Reaction score
Dear friends,

I ferment in the guest kitchen of my home. My latest batch of kombucha is flat, ph stands at 3.1. I added some priming sugar in the hope of getting some carbonation to no avail. Important to point out the temperatures are really low in winters here. Indoors they hover between 1 deg C at night to 12 deg C. I do not have a temperature control. I also do not have access to external carbonation system. Is there a way to add some fizz to my booch naturally ?

Last edited:
I lost most of the carbonation in my first batches that were continuous brew. Now i remove the scoby and some starter liquid then bottle the rest , clean and make a new batch. So my best carbed bottles are set on a heating pad(even in summer) to get to 80*f (27*c) for 3-5 days. I also do the primary ferment at 74-78* (23*-26*c). In order to get complete fermentation you need to keep it above 69*f (20.5*c). My batches taste weak and take over 4 weeks below 74*f (23*c). I use a reptile heater with a rheostat and moniter with a thermometer,and move the knob in small increments until it gets where I want. I also wrap everything in a blanket so the temp swing is manageable.

I lost most of the carbonation in my first batches that were continuous brew. Now i remove the scoby and some starter liquid then bottle the rest , clean and make a new batch. So my best carbed bottles are set on a heating pad(even in summer) to get to 80*f (27*c) for 3-5 days. I also do the primary ferment at 74-78* (23*-26*c). In order to get complete fermentation you need to keep it above 69*f (20.5*c). My batches taste weak and take over 4 weeks below 74*f (23*c). I use a reptile heater with a rheostat and moniter with a thermometer,and move the knob in small increments until it gets where I want. I also wrap everything in a blanket so the temp swing is manageable.
Thank you so much for your revert. You vindicate my thinking of the low temperature being the culprit which needs immediate correction. 2 further questions please:
1) Is it possible to salvage my new batch which has been lying at these low temperatures for a week now?
2) Is there a clear step by step tutorial somewhere of DIY heating solutions on the site somewhere? (I did look but could not locate one)?
Regards,
Jasii

Latest posts

Back