Need Measurement Conversion HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G_Force_5

Reaction score
I can't find my scale and I'm bottleing a 1 gallon batch. the Beer Recipator Calculator calls for .75 oz (21.2g)can sugar or 1.29oz (36.5g) DME.
I know it is unorthidox but Can someone give me tsp, tbsp, cup amount?

I can't find my scale and I'm bottleing a 1 gallon batch. the Beer Recipator Calculator calls for .75 oz (21.2g)can sugar or 1.29oz (36.5g) DME.
I know it is unorthidox but Can someone give me tsp, tbsp, cup amount?

.75 ounces = 4.5 teaspoons or 1.5 tablespoons
1.29 ounces = 7.74 teaspoons or 2.58 tablespoons

2 daytripper...Huh

What you received was the result of a simple mistake of converting non-equivalent units.

You provided units of weight - in "english" and metric forms - and received units of volume. But as one ounce by weight of granulated cane sugar does not equal one ounce by volume, the measurements you received have nothing to do with the actual density of cane sugar.

According to Domino Sugar one teaspoon of granulated cane sugar weighs 4.16 grams, so your 21.2 grams would actually equate to just over 5 teaspoons, not 4.5 teaspoons...

[edit] 1 teaspoon of DME weighs ~3.4 grams, so 36.5 grams of DME would equate to ~10.75 teaspoons, not 7.74 teaspoons...

Back