Need mashing help for 100% malted corn mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westchesterBrewer

Reaction score
I'm attempting to make chica. I currently have 12 lbs of corn sprouting (it smells wonderful!) and should be done in a few days.

For the mash I want to avoid using powdered amylase enzyme (I'm too muh of a purist) and rely solely on the diastatic power of my malted corn.

Here is my worry. Corn has a higher gelatinization temperature than barley to break apart the starch molecules. Boiling it would do the trick. However! Those high temps will kill those natural enzymes meant to convert the starches to fermentable sugars.

What do I do? Will a longer mash at a normal mash temp (148-160) help break apart those starch molecules (gelatinize) and allow the enzymes to do thir job? Or is a higher temperature the ONLY thing that will gelatinize the starch molecules?

I am considering using green corn malt, and mashing @ 155 overnight. Is there a better way to do this?

If you really are a purist as you say, you will chew the corn to break it into smaller bits for the mash and to add the enzymes from your saliva that will break down the starches to sugars. If you aren't that much of a purist then you need to add the enzymes another way. One of those ways is the dry amylase enzymes but another (sometimes used in Chica) is to use some malted barley to get the enzymes.

Latest posts

Back