Need Mash Tun Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopath

Reaction score
I am just starting all grain and am building a Mash/lauter tun. I have bought a 5 gal Igloo beverage cooler for 18.00 and 3/8" parts(ball valve, ss hose, etc(from DIY in this forum)to convert it(they are going to be too small but I can fix that).

My question is this...

Does anyone use this one?(5gal igloo beverage)
If so, what parts did you use to convert the spigot?

Do you like it or would you do something different?(price is an issue for me right now)

Would I be better off by taking it back and get a 48qt (seems a little too big for 5 gallon?) rectangle marine cooler or are the round beverage coolers better?(I will only be doing moderate gravity beers of 5 gallons for a while)

Please give your opinions on any or all of the above questions....I plan on doing my first batch this Sunday and have a few days to sort out the Mash/Lauter Tun issue.

Thanks and a happy brewing New Year to all,
Micki

That was the template I was using but the hole in the Igloo must be a bit larger than in the rubbermaid. Parts are too small to create a seal. I think I can fix that if 5 gallons is large enough.

I have had a 5g cooler MLT for several years, and have no problems making 5g batches with an OG of up to 1.075.
Round is better for fly sparging (and I usually fly sparge).
Being cheap, I used a bottling bucket spigot which cost me $2.50 (I actually bought 2 for that price, because I thought it may need replacing occasionally, but the first one has lasted over 300 brews, and shows no signs of wearing out.)
I had to open the hole in my cooler (Rubbermaid) slightly for the new spigot, so it may fit your cooler without any adjustments.

-a.

I think part of the issue may be that most people use 1/2" NPT fittings for the bulkheads... I'm sure you could make 3/8" fly with the proper washers and orings...

Here are the parts for a 1/2" ball valve conversion to a cooler. Many people use 1/2" components since pumps and such are fitted that way. The only other bonus is the flow rates are quite a lot higher. Never had a leak (drop) with the parts used below.

Ball valve bulkhead fittings for $15 from Lowes!! built 2 today, seal perfectly, I cannot wait to use them with my 10 gal system! See here for the parts detail! Pics to follow....

(1) A-836 1/2"MIP x 1 1/2" Brass pipe nipple
(1) 1/2" x 1/2" FPT x Barb female adapter
(2) 3/4" SS flat washer
(2) 1 1/8" OD x 5/8" ID Rubber grommets (for inner and outer seal)
(1) 1/2" x 1/2" MPT x barb Male adapter
(1) 1/2" threaded ball valve

Thanks to all. I went with the Igloo 48qt marine cooler. I am testing my fitting for a watertight seal as we speak. :? Buying grain tomorrow and first all grain brew starting Sunday!
Wish me luck.

Micki

Back