Need IPA Recipe Validation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PacificNWBrewer

Reaction score
I have never made a real IPA and I feel I need to get into brewing a few. Friends are always asking if I make them and I always have to tell them no. I'm not a huge IPA fan so I'm really not sure how to make a good one. Can someone please take a look at this recipe and let me know what I should change? Thanks!

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Mosaic IPA
Author: Dallas

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 16 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 18 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.054
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.41%
IBU (tinseth): 67.3
SRM (morey): 8.04

FERMENTABLES:
28 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83.6%)
4 lb - American - Vienna (11.9%)
1.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (4.5%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 34.23
3 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 15.51
3 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 160 °F, IBU: 17.55
3 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 45 min
2) Infusion, Temp: 153 F, Time: 15 min
3) Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 20 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
Imperial Yeast A01 at 68

I think most people would probably double or triple the WP and dry hop for that size batch. Maybe a bit much on the crystal malt and a little high in Lovibond for the style... but nothings gonna blow up if you do it as is, just won't be very hoppy.

Looks like a solid recipe though I’d tend to agree with @hotwatermusic on hop quantities

5% caramel is not crazy in ipa of this (by current standards moderate) strength. I’d consider including about 5% corn or table sugar to help dry it out and I’d prob use C20 instead of C80.

I'd prolly choose crystal 40, but I don't think 80L will ruin anything.
I usually use the ratio of 2oz/5gal for flame-out/whirlpool, and dry-hop additions.
...That's a lot of IPA considering you're not a big fan of it :)
Cheers

Yeah, on second thought that crystal at 5% is fine. Bad recommendation on my part. The 80L thing is just the scary part. If you end up having to drink a good portion of this, stick to your tastes. However if you are trying to appease your drinkers a bit more I'd go with some lighter lov. stuff to push out of your comfort zone a little. Good luck, It's probably something we all try to do at times, make a beer with certain other people in mind.

One other question, how is your software getting 17+ BU out of a 3oz WP but only 15+ BU from the 10 min addition? Those 10 and 60 min. additions will still be getting some degree of isomerization in the WP as well (but at 160degrees, not much).
Obviously not quite right, hopefully you know your system well enough to assume what your final will be by perceived bitterness because the computers are letting you down there.

Hopping seems OK to me, as it is not terribly different from the hopping schedule I use. Depending on tasting preference I would look to switch the C80 to C20. I prefer a less malty IPA so use C20 but it is up to you.

I top out at 60L - prefer 30 or 40 for Crystal in an IPA. That being said, your OG is low, so crystal would dominate flavor profile. Gotta agree - 20L or Carahell would be fantastic. Even Carared.

Seems alright to me with the exception of the Crystal 80 (just use a lower lovibond malt, like C30 or C40) and the mash schedule. Not sure why you'd raise it 3° after 45 minutes. Just mash at 150° for the full hour.

One other question, how is your software getting 17+ BU out of a 3oz WP but only 15+ BU from the 10 min addition? Those 10 and 60 min. additions will still be getting some degree of isomerization in the WP as well (but at 160degrees, not much).
Obviously not quite right, hopefully you know your system well enough to assume what your final will be by perceived bitterness because the computers are letting you down there.

I’m using Brewer’s Friend app to build this so I’m not sure why BU would be 17+ for WP addition.

I wouldn‘t use any crystal malt. I would rather replace it with malted oats OR go completely on the other side and use cane sugar. No need to purchase corn sugar.

I would also triple the WP and Dry Hops. For perspective, I used 10oz in my whirlpool and 6oz dry hop in my last 10 gallon batch.

Also, ignore the whirlpool bitterness contribution. They really don’t add much below 180f. In that case, you may want to consider upping your 60 min addition slightly.

One thing to consider, when using so many hops, take into account the volume loss. I have to brew 12 gallon (13 gallon post boil) batches of IPA's whereas I brew 11 gallon (12 gallon post boil) batches of everything else to account for the loss to hop matter.

I would also triple the WP and Dry Hops. For perspective, I used 10oz in my whirlpool and 6oz dry hop in my last 10 gallon batch.

Also, ignore the whirlpool bitterness contribution. They really don’t add much below 180f. In that case, you may want to consider upping your 60 min addition slightly.

One thing to consider, when using so many hops, take into account the volume loss. I have to brew 12 gallon (13 gallon post boil) batches of IPA's whereas I brew 11 gallon (12 gallon post boil) batches of everything else to account for the loss to hop matter.
Good call, thank you!

Back