Need Input on Potential Equipment Purchase...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGinABQ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all-

New brewer here with 3 batches under my belt and looking to start transitioning into kegging and all grain batches. I found a local guy selling the following items as a package deal for $650 and wanted to get yalls input if you think this is a decent deal or not. Equipment includes the following -

Kegerator - Nostalgia Electrics, fits 2 corny kegs, about 4 years old
2 pin lock corny kegs
8 gal stainless brew pot with valve and thermometer
propane stand burner
5 lb CO2 tank with valves and fittings
10 gal igloo mash tun
Glass carboy
Plastic carboy
Plastic fermenter bucket
Misc tools and equipment

The guy also said if I pay full asking, he'll include $170 in GCs to the LHBS.

So, what do you think? Does this sound like a good deal? Rough numbers I've run make it seem like it is, but wanted someone else's opinion before I jump headfirst into this.

Thanks!:mug::mug:

Pass....

I bought an 8Gal brew pot against the advice of my local home brewing store. I used that pot for a short while, then found a good deal on a 10Gal Spike brewing kettle through their bargain basement. Now I have this 8Gal kettle sitting around gathering dust!

I actually just picked up a keg for a keggle build and was hoping to either rob the fittings for the keggle or sell the brew pot to pay for the fittings

There is a lot of "it depends" in the list.

2 keg kegerator - are you going to out grow it soon?
8 gallon pot - it is pretty small for the long run. Stainless or aluminum?
Co2 regulator. I had a cheap one that only lasted about 2 years.
Propane burner? What kind. A cheap turkey fryer is about $35. A Blichmann Hellfire with legs is about $200
10 gallon mash tun. Condition and fittings??
Glass carboy - I wouldn't even take it. They are dangerous.
Plastic carboy - condition, size.

So the total looks good, if the items are top quality. If they are cheap, the price is close to what it is worth and not a steal.

The offer of the gift certificates would make me question the deal. It seems strange to me. But that might just be my skepticism.

I don't see myself outgrowing a 2 tap anytime in the near future. I still plan to bottle aging beers.

The brew pot is stainless. Mash tun has valves but unsure on overall condition.

I think I'm wanting to move in to legging so much, that when I saw the deal I just considered all the items a bonus.

Most kegerators around here are $350 for a danby or keggermeister used, and used kegs are pretty much nonexistent other than LHBS.

Offer $400

Stop at $450

Just my humble opinion

I think I'm going to take this approach. At the end of the day I'm not in a rush to move to AG as I still have a few extract batches left. Mainly wanting to move into kegging, so maybe it would be a wiser move to invest in a higher quality kegerator and save up for higher quality components when I go to AG.

Sounds like full price means you are paying cash for those gift cards. $400 would probably be ok for the kegerator and kegging equipment.

Back