Need ideas for a roasty chocolaty stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
I have been picking at recipe ideas for this for months now. I want a very this and roasty coco-y stout.

Made a chocolate stout a few years ago by adding cocoa powder in secodary...quite yummy.

Roasty you can get just from grain bill but careful not to overdo it...roasty good..astringent bad.

Made a chocolate stout a few years ago by adding cocoa powder in secodary...quite yummy.

Roasty you can get just from grain bill but careful not to overdo it...roasty good..astringent bad.

Yeah, Im trying to get the right kind of roasty in my grain bill. Thats why I posted this

Black Patent malt is commonly used in stouts for dark color and a roasty taste.

I make a chocolate stout every winter, use a jar of candied cocoa nibs I get from MoreBeer in 5 gallons, works great for the cocoa taste:cross:

Attached is a screen shot of a chocolate stout recipe from the Brew Smith cloud recipe database. This one does not use black patent or roast barley but both are appropriate for a stout so you could just tweak the grain bill.

They boil the coca powder, which I don't see any reason to do, I would add it to secondary or at the earliest after flame out.

ForumRunner_20140103_171240.jpg

Attached is a screen shot of a chocolate stout recipe from the Brew Smith cloud recipe database. This one does not use black patent or roast barley but both are appropriate for a stout so you could just tweak the grain bill.

They boil the coca powder, which I don't see any reason to do, I would add it to secondary or at the earliest after flame out.

I like the flame out idea

Back