Need ideas... Beers for people who "don't like beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edm1602

Reaction score
I find that talking to people about beer and brewing, there are many people who have limited their exposure to quality beer by "not liking beer" or "only liking Miller Lite." If someone told you that they would like to have their horizons expanded in the world of beer, but "only liked Miller Lite", what beers would you recommend to start them with. A few thoughts I had after looking around online were...

Blue Moon or Shock Top (pretty commercial but a start)
Magic Hat #9
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
A Milk Stout of some sort

Some other thoughts?? :mug:

I start out noobs on begians or hefes, then move on to a mild ipa, and before they know it they are enjoying RIS's and IIPAs!

Cream ales definitely, also if you feel like brewing I would definitely look up a spotted cow clone.

It sounds a little crazy but a dunkelweizen, a nice dark wheat with Wyeast 3068 fermented below 66F. It's not a flavor people expect, it is dark, but doesn't taste heavy if you do it right, and fermenting cool mellows out the esters a bit. It is one of the beers I make that people who say "I don't like beers, but this is good".

My caramel Amber has turned a few people onto beer.

10 lbs pale 2 row
2 lbs crystal 40 L

1 oz hallertaur 60 minutes

My caramel Amber has turned a few people onto beer.

10 lbs pale 2 row
2 lbs crystal 40 L

1 oz hallertaur 60 minutes

Sometimes the best ones are the simplest ones. This makes me realize that a lot of the suggestions here are low in bitterness too...newbies don't like high IBU's.

I've got a friend who pretty much only drank Busch beer.
I would just show up at his house with some Sam Adams, some Henry's or whatever looked like it was worth grabbing at the store.
Turns out he loves Moosehead beer.
After that it turns out that he loves all of my homebrew.
Just try lots of different things.
After they figure out they like one or two beers that they didn't expect to like they generally get a little more open minded.

Now that I'm home with a hop czar in hand, I've re thought the question.
Anyone who doesn't like beer just isn't normal. I'm not sure what you do for them.
I don't understand someone who wouldn't enjoy this fine beer. They have something wrong with them.
It's like saying you don't like a nice rib steak.

Back