Need help with wires.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdr01

Reaction score
I just picked up gear motor. Slow but I will try it. I have no idea why there are five wires. Two black wires come from a black box. Capacitor? The motor has the usual red, white, black. There is no ground or green wire.
Anyone with some knowledge that can help? I might as well wire it to run in either direction in case of a jam.

Thanks
IMG_20200212_143437224.jpg
IMG_20200212_143446973.jpg

There are five wires, because two of them are black and currently are connected solely to the ends of the start capacitor attached to the motor, and the other three (red/white/black) are connected solely to the motor. You have to put them all together.

Now, the wiring diagram shows what you want to do to provide reversible service, if you obtain an SPST On-Off-On switch (also called "SPST center off"). Make sure not to get a momentary version or you'll have to hold the switch on the whole time :)

Either way you'd also need a line cord. If you do that, you would wire as follows:

- connect the black motor wire to the white line cord wire (120VAC neutral).
- connect the SPST common pole to the black line cord wire (120VAC hot).
- connect the red motor wire and either of the black capacitor wires to either of the switch poles.
- connect the white motor wire and the other black capacitor wire to the remaining switch pole.
- connect the green line cord wire to the motor metal casing. Look inside the box, there's likely a screw for that.

That ought to do it!

Cheers!

This is a 230VAC motor, so running it on 120V may or may not work, and if it does, maybe not for very long.
L1 and L2 are the phases (hot/hot), not neutral and hot, but otherwise it's like day tripper said.

Best practice is also to put a fuse in the lines as well. As it only shows 1A draw, should get by with a 5A fuse, and you'd probably want to use a slow blow fuse since it's a motor and they can draw more at startup.

Oof! Thanks for that, I totally missed the voltage rating.
But, yes, aside from that, the wiring scheme I outlined will work...

Cheers!

Back