Need help with water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Miller

Reaction score
So I just got into all grain brewing, have been brewing extract for 5 years or so and have never messed with the water.
I'm on a Sandpoint well and just got a report for wards...... I'm not sure how the water is for brewing as there are not many others that brew around me, and the closest LHBS is 240 miles away. Not sure what do with the water.

Wards lab report Jan 2019

Ph 7.6
PPM
Na 102
k 8
ca 96
mg 65
cac03 hardness 511
so4-s 72
cl 11
c03 <1.0
hc03 562
cac03 alkalinity 463
p .02
fe <.01

So just taking a look at your report, that's off the charts hard water compared to what I have.

If you're going to brew and really care anything about water composition and pH, you'll need to find a distilled/reverse osmosis supplier. You can buy your own RO system for 100ish dollars. Walmart or other similar places also have water dispensers.

Next, you'll need to get a good water program such as Bru'n Water or Beersmith ... or both. If Brun water, you can upload your base water profile from your water report and it will tell you how much RO or distilled water to "cut" it with.

You'll probably need to buy some gypsum, calcium chloride, table salt, baking soda and chalk ( probably not any chalk or table salt with your water levels).

Both programs have a learning curve, but can be learned in one night. From.that, take good notes every brewing session and zero in on what you're looking for.

You should also get a pH meter if you're serious about testing pH. The programs are a good estimate, but that's all they are. They'll just get you in the ball park. You'll be in the right ballpark though for brewing beer instead of kombucha. Don't want 3.5 pH here, lol.

The water has a high amount of carbonates. Very hard water. Sodium and magnesium levels are fairly high.
It looks as if you'd need some sort of softening or dilution to use this as brewing water.
Is it safe to drink? Probably, but I'd recommend a good filtration.
Is it good for brewing? Not really, it's a bit on the "hard" side.

Or you could just stick to brewing beer darker than Guiness.

Seriously though, water isnt everything. It's a Major ingredient for sure, but you can make whatever kind of beer that you want. I mean the Czech Republic isnt know for their Scottish sales, as Ireland isnt known for their pilsners. Anybody can make any beer they want. For it to have that special umph though and be great, the water profile has to match what beer they're making.

Your water is more suited for darker beers. Even still, it would need some adjustment to be great. For you to make a pilsner would not be a good thing without some serious alteration. Not saying you can't do it, it just might not turn out like what you're aiming for.

So, a little more info. I do have a 4 stage Ro system and a 2 filter whole house filter and a water softener for everyday water needs. The water does Get tested for bacteria and Nitrate yearly and is safe to drink/ tastes good. The water test was not filtered as it runs through the softner, and I have heard not to use softened water for brewing.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Given that, you should source the RO input water from the output of your softener, and brew with mostly if not all RO water. Trust me, it's hella easier to "cook up" style-appropriate (or just brewer-preferred) brewing liquor from RO than coping with uber hard water...

Cheers!

Yes - if you have the opportunity, always feed the softened water to the RO system. Just like hard water leaves scale on your kitchen faucet, it will deposit scale inside an RO membrane.

Matt Miller - you mention a two stage whole house filter - two sediment filters?

Russ

Back