Need help with Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camden2300

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a clone of Weihenstaphaner Hefe about 20 days ago using lme and dme. I also added 1/2 of an austin brew alchohol boost...I never took OG...Lost my paper to find out what the FG should be..used wyeast 3068..fermented at 64-67 for the 20 days..had to use a blow off tube as this thing made a mess...I had made a 1 quart stater 24 hrs prior to brewing...Fastforward...

I pulled said beer off the yeast cake today into keg...It tasted good but a little on the sweet side...I noticed not much of a yeast cake left in the bucket...only about 1/4 in deep. (i dont know if thats normal i have never done a wheat beer..used to big beer)...At that time i took a reading FG 1.018. Inside the thief tinny bubbles were constantly rising......I have already washed the yeast and put it in the fridge...

-Is 1.018 good for a hefe?
-If not do i need to build a starter out of the washed yeast and repitch it?

I appreciate any assistance!

I think 1.018 is a little high...mine just finished at 1.012. If you like it where it is, drink it and enjoy it but those extra points are what's making it taste sweet and adding to the body.

One thing you could do...take some of that yeast, make a small starter, and pitch the starter into the beer while it's high krausen and most active. Then purge/seal the keg with CO2 and set it somewhere around room temp for two weeks and let the yeast eat down the sugar a little and carbonate the beer for you.

Back