Need help with "Cyser Math" to hit an OG of 1.103

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_F

Reaction score
I've been driving myself nuts, trying to figure out a honey quantity for a 3 gallon batch of a Cyser....
I've been unable to figure out the GotMead calculator for an additional sugar of Apple JUICE (apples, yes, but not apple JUICE). I'm probably just not smart enough...

I'm going for a 3 gallon batch of about 1.103 OG, Hothead Kveik yeast (11% attenuation), hopefully to finish at a FG of about 1.020-ish ( going for "lightly sweet")... and 2 gallons of a local apple juice.

I just can't figure out how to calculate how much HONEY to use!
Tips on how to use that calculator, or a little "manual math" brush up (I'm quite a few decades from my last math class...) appreciated!

Also, if anyone has opinions or experience using the Hothead Kveik (Omega) yeast, I'm happy to hear about that as well!

Thanks in advance!

One pound of honey adds 35 points (1.035) when dissolved in liquid. If the liquid is apple juice - what's its SG ? My guess would be about 1.055 but it could be lower..So, adding 1.5 lbs would be adding 50 points (+/-) so, that would take you to about 1.105 IF -IF the juice was 1.055.

Separate the two.

You want 3G at 1.103
You've got 2G of juice at ~1.055
You need a 1G honey solution at what SG?

Use the salmon colored Blending Calculation Utility at the bottom of the GotMead calculator. Looks like you need 1G at 1.200.

Now, use the main calculator to find how much honey that takes. 5.566lbs

Apple juice sugar level can be very different..... so until you get it in your hands and actually measure it, you'll never predict it's value. Same with honey.

Buy it. Measure it. Add honey. Measure it. Normal scientific approach.

Many thanks to all for the tips! I think I've got this batch dialed now. Just need to run to the brewing supply for a couple things, and it'll be "mixing day". :)

Latest posts

Back