Need help with carbonating in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusselDoc

Reaction score
I have read that many breweries that bottle condition will add not only priming sugar but fresh yeast as well when filling bottles. How is this done? Do you perform it like a yeast starter culture, or do you add formant yeast an priming sugar?

I do not want to introduce oxygen into my finished beer, but I am worried that yeast gone dormant in a high alcohol beer will not come back to life without oxygen. If I use a yeast starter technique, then how will I know how much sugar remains for carbonation?

You sprinkle a little into each bottle, or add some to the bolling bucket when you rack over, noting too complex.

How high grav of a beer are you concerned about?

I am going to be using yeast I recovered and washed. I'd like to re-use it instead of buying dry yeast. This batch is 1.091.

Bottle conditioning doesn't take much yeast. 1 gram of any dry yeast is enough for even a big beer. I sprinkle it in as the beer racks to the bottling bucket then stir it in well with after it has finished racking and has rehydrated.

Your better off with new dry yeast. It has all the nutrients it needs to get the job done from the lab. That's the advantage of re-yeasting; you have more healthy yeast.

If I take yeast and put it in with some fresh malt and aerate it, then it should be as healthy as newly purchased yeast after it has some time to grow aerobically. So, if I do this, how do I ensure I do not introduce oxygen into my beer when I pitch for priming?

Yeah, I am familiar with the method. I was hoping there was a method where I wouldn't have to guess how much sugar had been fermented and thus how much is left when I pitch to carbonate.

So, if I make a yeast starter with the same gravity as my beer and pitch it into the bottling bucket once I begin to observe fermentation, then I will essentially be using the Krausening method. Is that correct?

I presume that using yeast just coming out of an aerobic cycle and beginning to ferment (Kraeusen method) will be much healthier than using yeast that have completed fermentation and gone dormant (yeast cake method). Correct?

Latest posts

Back