Need Help with Belgian Blonde Recipe - First Time Creating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbonmyhat

Reaction score
Hello-

I am working on creating my first recipe and I would like to build one that is a combination of a belgian blonde and a wheat beer that has a higher ABV. Below is what I have come up with based on searching online for information. I would love to hear your feedback and suggestions for improvement. Also, when I price this out, it is close to $60 which is much more than I really want to spend. If you have any recommendations for getting the price down, please let me know.

Steeping Grains:
1/2 lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
1/2 lb carapils malt

Extract
6.6 lbs muntons extra light LME
3.3 lbs wheat LME

Hops
@60 minutes: 1oz styrian goldings pellets
@2 minutes: 1oz styrian goldings pellets

Extra
1oz sweet orange peel @ 2 minutes
2 grams paradise seed @ 2 minutes

Yeast
Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale Yeast

Just a quick glance so far but maybe try using a pilsner extract instead of the pilsner malt. Or leave it out entirely - if you are trying to save a little $$$, I'd just leave it out. You need to mash the malt.

what color, abv, and other details are you going for?

You might want to use some dry malt extract instead of all liquid or do late additions to not get a darker color than you planned on.

Thanks for the quick reply! Here is what I was targeting

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.062 – 1.075
IBUs: 15 – 30 FG: 1.008 – 1.018
SRM: 4 – 7 ABV: 6 – 7.5%

And below is what I came up with using brewtoad.

Belgian Blond Ale
OG 1.07
FG 1.017
Color 4.2° SRM
Bitterness 21.1 IBU
BG:GU0.3
Alcohol 6.8% ABV /

Come to think of it, you can probably leave out the Cara-Pils if you are trying to save a few bucks, too. The extract will already have some in it.

I agree about using DME. LME has a tendency to sink straight to the bottom of the pot and scorch, even if you think you have stirred it in and dissolved it completely.

If you really want some pilsen in there, try using 3lbs of Pilsen DME at the beginning of the boil, then add the 3.3lbs of wheat LME at the end of the boil and reduce the Munton's extra light to 3.3lbs and also add that at the end of the boil.

Are you able to control temps well? That is important with Belgian beers. If you have good temp control, you can get some really good fruity and peppery flavors from the yeast. If your reason for adding the orange peel and paradise seeds is fruity and peppery, temp control could be the answer while also saving you from spending more money on more ingredients.

Back