Need help with a volume issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mueltrain54

Reaction score
Just finished brewing a dunkelweizen. 5.5 gallon batch with an expected OG of 1.056. Ended up with about 3 gallons of 1.066... not sure how I managed that one, but I think I accidentally was short on my sparge volume. Made a rash choice to top it off with water and now I have the right volume but my gravity is now 1.040. My initial thought is to go back to the store tomorrow and add some boiled wheat DME. Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea and if so how much to add?

I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Add 2.15 lbs. 2 lbs. even would bring you up to 1.055. Of course consider what people say about topping up and how it is very hard to get a homogenous mixture, but based on the numbers you provided your topped up OG sounds about right.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I double checked a gravity reading just in case it wasn’t homogenized before but got the same reading. Think I’ll go with 2 lbs tomorrow. Hopefully the beer will still turn out decent

I can’t believe you undershot volume by 2 1/2 gallons, then undershot gravity by 0.016, AND know the word homogenized lol JK, better luck next time keeping track of volume and gravity...cheers!

I can’t believe you undershot volume by 2 1/2 gallons, then undershot gravity by 0.016, AND know the word homogenized lol JK, better luck next time keeping track of volume and gravity...cheers!

Haha, I probably deserved that. At least now I know I’m incapable of carrying on a conversation while measuring sparge water...

I usually aim to hit my volume a bit low, and if I've got a low gravity, I won't top up. If I hit my efficiency, I'll just top up until my gravity is where I want it (calculated). If I overshoot efficiency, sometimes I'll top up even more.

Back