Need help with a stuck fermentation with Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
I made a new batch of Mead last evening. This is in a simple gallon jug. I added one campden tablet and forgot I was supposed to wait at least 24 hours for the Must to allow yeast. I pitched in my Yeast K-v1116 in immediately afterwards and of course...its just sitting there. Im sure I killed the yeastie beasties right off. Can this batch be saved? What can I do do restart it safely ?:confused:

This will likely take a day or 2 to start up anyway....let's give it more than 8 hours before you declare your yeast dead.
If nothing is happening on Sunday.....Re-pitch and re-aerate...but relax until then.
If i understand properly...you're making a show mead...or just honey and water? IMO, Campdon is a waste of time, as these types of mead really do not need it.

Thanks Big!

yeah, I was going to sit back and see what happens by tommorow. Ive also read today that using campden in this instance is indeed a waste of time so no more of that! Thanks for replying! Ill repost tomorow with results....

:mug:

Well I didnt even have to wait until tomorow! Im happy to say it is now beginning to bubble! I think I dodged a bullet and wont be using any more campden unless im making a Melomel....I made an assumption that the campden had either killed the yeast or may even still give me a slower fermentation than Id get had I not added it.

:rockin:

Is my mead dead? My first batch ever is clover honey 15lb to 5gallons of water I used Liquid Yeast the slap kind but it didn't rise mutch so i put the liquid yeast with some warm water and the suggested amount of yeast energizer and nutrient. It didn't proof But in my infinite wisdom i decided it might not of worked because let the yeast sitt in a bowl with the nutrient and enegizer. But i hoped for the best and pitched it, its been 4 days with no air lock action but it defenetly has a slight alcoholic smell to it. I taped the the edges of the plastic lid to eliminate air leaks, has anyone ever had fermentation without bubbles or is 4 days not enough time to see air lock action.

Back